SpaghettiJo

Songster
Apr 1, 2017
Virginia
Does anybody have a chicken leash? How do you like it? How long did it take you to train them to use it?

I know training takes a while and some chickens will simply never like it, but if anyone has chickens that have ended up liking them, please let me know all the details! I've been thinking about getting one for my kiddos so they can walk the chickens and let them explore new places :) all thoughts and ideas are helpful! Thank you!

Also, I've tried looking for other threads like this one, but so far in all my reading, there hasn't really been one that people have really replied to and given their diverse opinions...so please! Shoot out all your ideas ;)

Our chickens do well on leashes, it takes a few minutes for them to get used to it, but it doesn't bother them unless they don't want to go where you want them to. They can be trained by using a reward system, just like you do with dogs. The harnesses can be found in Amazon and at Coastal Farm Supply. They may try to convince you they can't walk with the harness on, if that happens, check the fit. If it's too tight, or doesn't sit right on the neck, it needs to be adjusted. The same goes for too loose. Ideally, it won't put pressure on the crop, and it won't restrict breathing around the chest.

This is Gurtrude
20170503_182337.jpg
20170426_191950.jpg

And Lizbeth
received_10213625844425453.jpeg

Our chickens do well on leashes, it takes a few minutes for them to get used to it, but it doesn't bother them unless they don't want to go where you want them to. They can be trained by using a reward system, just like you do with dogs. The harnesses can be found in Amazon and at Coastal Farm Supply. They may try to convince you they can't walk with the harness on, if that happens, check the fit. If it's too tight, or doesn't sit right on the neck, it needs to be adjusted. The same goes for too loose. Ideally, it won't put pressure on the crop, and it won't restrict breathing around the chest.

This is Gurtrude
View attachment 1111729
View attachment 1111730

And Lizbeth
View attachment 1111731
does it attach around the cheast

Back
Top Bottom