Chicken Leg Issue due to Severe Pecking

RyanDonnally14

Hatching
Dec 5, 2018
I have 6 Rhode Island Reds that are around 3 months old and one day i come out to a chicken missing all the feathers on its back and under its wings, but its also was missing feathers on it right leg. The chicken suffered a severe pecking. She is not walking one the leg and is curling the foot. I have had her at home in a large dog crate and it doesn't seem to be getting much better after a week now but the feathers are growing back. I was wondering what i should do now or what i could try to make her better.

Could you post a picture?
Did you check if it's broken?
Is the foot still curled?
Is the leg swollen/discored?
What are you feeding?
How did/are you treating?
The foot it still curled and i checked if it was broken and i'm pretty certain it isn't, the leg doesn't look swollen and i treated with vertricin and a small splint.

You may want to separate it, maybe put in a wire cage with food & water, put the cage in the coop with the flock so it remains part of the flock yet safe. There is a sling you can make for it, adding food & water dish ... Will try find the link or pic.
Can you take a pic without the splint?
Can it stand?
Is it eating/drinking/pooping?

CHICKEN - Sling

You may want to separate it, maybe put in a wire cage with food & water, put the cage in the coop with the flock so it remains part of the flock yet safe. There is a sling you can make for it, adding food & water dish ... Will try find the link or pic.
Can you take a pic without the splint?
Can it stand?
Is it eating/drinking/pooping?

CHICKEN - Sling
it can stand and its in with the flock but separated and it is eating drinking and pooping it can stand on one leg

Back
Top Bottom