Chicken lost majority of weight and is eating and drinking very little

Bkbcityfarm

Hatching
Apr 27, 2021
This chicken is 2 years old and she’s a red pullet she is very lethargic and not moving around is eating and drinking very little and is incredibly bony and lost a lot of her weight, her poop is runny and watery. Feathers and skin seem healthy and the rest of the flock are healthy and laying appropriately. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Have you de-wormed your flock?
Is she laying eggs at all? Does her walk look funny when she does get up? Have you checked her crop to see if it is full or feels hard?

We have not dewormed. I don’t believe she is laying eggs. She has a hard time standing up and walking around. Her crop is hard and bony.

Her crop is bony? Or do you mean you can feel her keel bone? The crop is like a second stomach and should feel kinda squishy. It's just a bit higher than the keel bone on the bottom of the neck.

1619578063734.png

1619578112667.png

If the crop itself is hard, you could be looking at an impacted crop situation.

You might look into de-worming her, could be she's not getting enough nutrients and loosing strength because of the worms. Do you see any worms or worm eggs (looks like little bits of white rice) in her poop? Dewormer can be acquired over the counter without a vet visit. It usually just means you can't eat the eggs for a certain number of days.

Isolating her in the coop somehow would be ideal, just so you can monitor and treat her more easily.

Another thing that can cause yellowish poop is organ failure, unfortunately. If you have access to a vet (especially an avian vet) I would recommend giving them a call.

Yeah no I could feel her keel bone. The crop feels soft and squishy...thanks for the pictures that helped. We have her in a seperate area away from our other hens. We will try deworming her and see if that helps.

do you have or can you get some Pedialite (probiotic water? baby section of store), quickly? Needs to stay hydrated. May have to give w/syringe.
Could possibly be egg bound? Lost one earlier this year. We were too late finding out reason she was sick. Neither vet checked to see if she was egg bound though.

Back
Top Bottom