Chicken Manure dust feather damage

If the feathers are completely plucked, they will start to grow back in. But if they are broken, they won't grow in until molt.

I would feed the whole egg since the white is pure protein. The yolk is nutrient dense but that's also where all the fat is. Feeding more protein, you may not see immediate results.. as things take time to level out. So it would take a bully a short while for her system to say OK I'm good before she quits picking, IF it hasn't just become habit already. And then it would take longer than that for the feathers to come back in. In Nevada, they might even be experiencing sunburn right now. I have a girl who got into my stag pen and had all her neck feathers pulled out. She is still laying and the feathers have been pins for a very long time, several months!

I do also wonder... IF it was parasites, why would it be concentrated to the backs. I would be watching for a bully. :confused:

I wouldn't personally cull anybody until I figured out the issue, to make sure it doesn't persist... UNLESS there seems to be true suffering (depression) on the hens part. After that.. I would definitely consider culling a bird who is a constant source of parasites as it's indicative to the state of the immune system. Weaker will be effected first and worst. It's said that 10% of chickens carry 90% of parasites (even within a single flock). Some will have a natural resistance. But since you aren't breeding, it isn't as important IMO, as long as you can get it figured out and adjust for it.

Really stinks to know our birds need help but not be sure what to do. :he Hopefully you have somewhere to start now. :fl

To really look for bugs, go in a couple hours after dark, using a flash light. Lay the bird on their back, knees bent towards chest and part the feathers near the vent and look for anything scurrying. This won't work for the microscopic buggers though. :barnie

@Wyorp Rock So you mean pemethrin spray won't work for feather mites? Do you know why? And also do you know how to diagnose them before treating with Ivermectin as you suggested?

This is Honey. She is a Golden Comet and she is a very quiet hen. But she is the one that started all of this, I just can't figure it out. It started in her wing feathers and got progressively worse. She lays big beautiful brown eggs.

20170712_091619 (2).jpg
20170712_091631 (2).jpg
20170712_091634_001 (2).jpg
If the feathers are completely plucked, they will start to grow back in. But if they are broken, they won't grow in until molt.

I would feed the whole egg since the white is pure protein. The yolk is nutrient dense but that's also where all the fat is. Feeding more protein, you may not see immediate results.. as things take time to level out. So it would take a bully a short while for her system to say OK I'm good before she quits picking, IF it hasn't just become habit already. And then it would take longer than that for the feathers to come back in. In Nevada, they might even be experiencing sunburn right now. I have a girl who got into my stag pen and had all her neck feathers pulled out. She is still laying and the feathers have been pins for a very long time, several months!

I do also wonder... IF it was parasites, why would it be concentrated to the backs. I would be watching for a bully. :confused:

I wouldn't personally cull anybody until I figured out the issue, to make sure it doesn't persist... UNLESS there seems to be true suffering (depression) on the hens part. After that.. I would definitely consider culling a bird who is a constant source of parasites as it's indicative to the state of the immune system. Weaker will be effected first and worst. It's said that 10% of chickens carry 90% of parasites (even within a single flock). Some will have a natural resistance. But since you aren't breeding, it isn't as important IMO, as long as you can get it figured out and adjust for it.

Really stinks to know our birds need help but not be sure what to do. :he Hopefully you have somewhere to start now. :fl

To really look for bugs, go in a couple hours after dark, using a flash light. Lay the bird on their back, knees bent towards chest and part the feathers near the vent and look for anything scurrying. This won't work for the microscopic buggers though. :barnie

@Wyorp Rock So you mean pemethrin spray won't work for feather mites? Do you know why? And also do you know how to diagnose them before treating with Ivermectin as you suggested?

I love the name Honey, pore girl! :love

I would HAVE to consider that damage to be feather mites and proceed accordingly. Note that just because your birds get parasites doesn't make you a bad keeper. They are part of the environment and it's a learning curve for most of us.

Honey MITE (pun intended) not have started it but just been the first to show signs. Either way, I would treat all birds... and am in agreement that it's time for extreme measures to be taken.

IF prescription IS the only way to treat them (I don't know that), a visit to my vet runs $45... just for reference.

Thank you all so much for your help. I think I am going to treat the whole area as if there are extreme mites. I will pull all of the shavings out of the upper coop. and spray with Poultry protector. Clean all of the old shavings out of the Run and put a liberal amount of DE down before adding more shavings. And dust all of the hens as well as add the DE to their dust bathing area and go from there. I will also keep an eye out to see if I have a feather picker. At least I will know that it is not Mites (even if I can't see them) after I have done this and if the problem still persists I will have to move on from there.

DE is ineffective IMHO... :( Do you already use DE in your dust bath or is this going to be a new addition?

But since you aren't trying to use it as a main source of taking care of the issue, then I won't spend time looking for the threads I've seen with people who have first hand proof.

Haven't tried the poultry protector, *seems* like it get's mostly positive reviews. I'm a skeptic! Says you have to use it every couple days. Look forward to hearing how it works for you. :)

DE is ineffective IMHO... :( Do you already use DE in your dust bath or is this going to be a new addition?

But since you aren't trying to use it as a main source of taking care of the issue, then I won't spend time looking for the threads I've seen with people who have first hand proof.

Haven't tried the poultry protector, *seems* like it get's mostly positive reviews. I'm a skeptic! Says you have to use it every couple days. Look forward to hearing how it works for you. :)
I know there is a debate about DE and people feel very strongly about it. It's hard to know what to do. I have not read of any other solutions that can be used. So if you have any suggestions please tell me. that is why I posted this thread. I have also read that Poultry dust works, IDK???

Poultry dust is going to have an active ingredient in it, I would think. I don't know what it is. (maybe Carbaryl)

I agree it's hard to know what to do with so much information floating around. I would probably go with your plan of attack and try the poultry protector and clean everything out, just because. Even though the parasites mostly don't live in the bedding, it would help to combat any eggs or bugs that fell into there, maybe..

If organic is important to you, I know they make a chrysanthemum extract that is the natural version of permethrin. Known as Pyrethrum I think. Sold under names like Elector PSP, or Spinosad, much pricier.. but it's not an issue for some people. I use the permethrin, a synthetic pyrethrum extract. It has been effective against lice and I don't know why it wouldn't work for feather mites, as stated by a previous poster. (???) I bought it labeled as horse fly spray to keep mosquitoes off my goats and dogs. But it is labeled for many uses.

One link that talks about it... but I think we are talking about feather mites here, not northern fowl. (only my thought, I am no expert but here to learn all I can)..
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

Note just a few paragraphs down one person had to put down a hen because of mites they were TRYING to treat with DE. De does work for some things, it just isn't this magic substance that cures everything like some insist.

Some of my boys have leg feathers that look a little munched, so I will be trying the permethryn, as I have it on hand and no bad experience with it thus far. I have even gotten on my own skin on more than 1 occasion. Though I can't tell if it's just wear and tear or munching. But seems like munching to me.

One of my dogs had a bout with mites (different type) but it took MANY different treatments to get it under control because her immune system wasn't fighting them off. And what would have worked for most (ivermectin) didn't work for her and she ended up having to take sulpher baths. :sick Egg fart smelling pup anyone?! These are mites that are on every dog, but only become an issue with a weakened immune system. Aside from he balding around the ears, they did a skin scrape to confirm which basically includes a count.

I haven't used it and don't know how effective it is but people also swear by putting a little wood ash into their dirt baths.

This link has good info, though they are trying to sell something (including DE).. They also state that depluming mites must be treated with ivermectin.
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/mites-lice/index.aspx

And another..
http://www.henclass.com/your-options-for-chicken-mite-treatment/

Anyways, hope this is helpful! Maybe even to me. :D

There is indeed a lot of debate about a lot of things. No matter what ANYONE says... do what SEEMS to make the most amount of sense to YOU. And if it doesn't work out, or you learn something different switch it up! We all have different perspectives, set ups, environments, goals and challenges. The more someone insist THEIRS is the only way, the more likely they are wrong. :old And ALWAYS get a second opinion on what a feed store employee tells you. They are often well meaning but misinformed with little to no animal experience of their own.

I can sense your girls getting better already!!! :fl

At least you know you are trying your best. :thumbsup

Hi @Jewellan
Having some testing by your vet is always best, they can do a scraping and/or look at feather follicles to determine if your problem is Depluming Mites. It may actually be cheaper to have them administer the Ivermectin through injection instead of purchasing it yourself. Injectible Ivomec (Ivermectin) or Ivermectin Pour On (For Cattle) can usually be found in most feed stores (like Tractor Supply) or online.
Ivermectin is absorbed into the bloodstream and can be used to treat both internal and external parasites, depending on dosage and administration. Ivermectin has no labeling for use in poultry, so keep in mind that an egg withdrawal period should be followed. Without labeling, a general guideline would be to throw away eggs for 30days after the last treatment is administered (or consult your vet). To treat for external parasites (lice/mites/depluming mites, etc.) for "standard" size fowl, apply 5drops of Ivermectin Pour On to the back of the chicken's neck, repeat treatment in 14days.

You can certainly try using a Permethrin based poultry dust or spray to see if there is improvement. There is no withdrawal period for Permethrin when following the manufacturer's label. Looking at the photos of the one hen with the most damage, you more than likely will not see new feather growth until she molts. The feather shafts look for the most part intact. The feathers look to have been either broken off or chewed off.

I am not an expert or a vet, this is my opinion just my opinion:) As with any information you receive online, it is ultimately up to you to do some research/reading to determine what the best course of treatment and action best suits your unique situation.

Here's a list of poultry dusts and sprays:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1151513/pesticides-approved-for-poultry
More info on depuming mites
https://chickenwired.wordpress.com/2014/09/21/parasites-of-poultry/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rooster-losing-feathers.1177755/

What Ivermectin Pour On looks like:
Ivermectin-Pour-on-2.jpg

detail.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @Jewellan
Having some testing by your vet is always best, they can do a scraping and/or look at feather follicles to determine if your problem is Depluming Mites. It may actually be cheaper to have them administer the Ivermectin through injection instead of purchasing it yourself. Injectible Ivomec (Ivermectin) or Ivermectin Pour On (For Cattle) can usually be found in most feed stores (like Tractor Supply) or online.
Ivermectin is absorbed into the bloodstream and can be used to treat both internal and external parasites, depending on dosage and administration. Ivermectin has no labeling for use in poultry, so keep in mind that an egg withdrawal period should be followed. Without labeling, a general guideline would be to throw away eggs for 30days after the last treatment is administered (or consult your vet). To treat for external parasites (lice/mites/depluming mites, etc.) for "standard" size fowl, apply 5drops of Ivermectin Pour On to the back of the chicken's neck, repeat treatment in 14days.

You can certainly try using a Permethrin based poultry dust or spray to see if there is improvement. There is no withdrawal period for Permethrin when following the manufacturer's label. Looking at the photos of the one hen with the most damage, you more than likely will not see new feather growth until she molts. The feather shafts look for the most part intact. The feathers look to have been either broken off or chewed off.

I am not an expert or a vet, this is my opinion just my opinion:) As with any information you receive online, it is ultimately up to you to do some research/reading to determine what the best course of treatment and action best suits your unique situation.

Here's a list of poultry dusts and sprays:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1151513/pesticides-approved-for-poultry
More info on depuming mites
https://chickenwired.wordpress.com/2014/09/21/parasites-of-poultry/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rooster-losing-feathers.1177755/

What Ivermectin Pour On looks like:
Ivermectin-Pour-on-2.jpg

detail.jpg

If you don't already know... I consider you to be one of the knowledgeable and respectable posters! :highfive:

What I wanted you to know is that post was immensely helpful! especially the chicken wired link.

I'm actually thinking I MITE have this problem. :( I tried plucking a feather and looking under the microscope but couldn't see anything. So I decided to make an appointment with my vet even though I think the ivomec IS the way to go. Figure since it's my first time dealing with it that it's best to get an actual diagnosis. Visit will cost me $49 plus $30 if we do a skin scrape. Since I have 30 hens, 2 roosters, and 42 juveniles... I cannot afford to mess around with something so serious. I'm hoping for less than 30 day withdrawal. But will also ask about withdrawal time for eating the meat, just in case we ever need to know.

Will update after my appointment tomorrow. :caf

:fl :fl :fl

Back
Top Bottom