Chicken Math. Or "The story of how I didn't want chickens and got hooked"

Pics
Lost Elvis yesterday. She's usually the first one to the feeders when I open the coops in the morning and she wasn't there. Found her in the yard under the bougainvillea. She must have overheated yesterday and I missed her. Sucks. I hate losing birds.

IMG_20170408_110351.jpg
elvis_1_hires_wm.jpg
IMG_20170618_062715.jpg

Happened to find these girls this morning when we were out picking up hay for the rabbits and tortoises.

White Crested Black and (I think) White Crested Blue. Guy at the feed store said white crested grey but I can't find that as a color so I'm guessing. Potato pics, it's a little difficult getting close to them right now.

_DSC0577.jpg
_DSC0598.jpg

Little better shot. The black seems to be integrating with the flock pretty well, the blue is still a bit nervous. I had to let her go to ground tonight and then I put her in the coop with the rest, so hopefully tomorrow she'll be less skittish. No one's bothering her, my girls are pretty used to having new friends blended in.
IMG_20170624_214002.jpg

YAY! More polish!

When I lose one, i try and replace it with same or similar, and while there were a pair of silver laced standards mixed in with all of these, they just weren't as nice. So, I shifted a little sideways and got these girls instead. We're going to name them Gidget and Maude.

Side note, putting Maude in the coop last night with all the teen-agers did the trick. They're out hanging with everyone today like they've always belonged.

Another trip to the feed store, more mouths to feed. This time it was 3 Gold Laced Wyandottes. Supposedly sexed, they weren't. We got 2 hens and a roo.
View attachment 854906
My hubby calls it "Chicken Fever". Our daughter had her first hen Twenty years ago. They we slowly got to this stage we refer to as monstrous. But love it....

Went out to let the kids out this morning and found our Mottled Java, "Peepers" had not survived the night. This AZ heat is brutal. Even with misters, ice, lots of shade, wading puddles, fans, and frozen treats, it's going to be a very long summer.

Don't think I'll replace her though. I've got a hold on a couple more Isbars and a couple OE's that I'll pick up this weekend, and I've got a good number of brown layers now.

Back
Top Bottom