Chicken math prevailed!

Dang chicken math. Lol. I had 8 hens, then my brother in law asked me to take in his past 3 after his new pup killed the rest of his flock. Then I found 2 silkies for dirt cheap, and had to have them. Haha. And a couple weeks after that my girls convinced my husband to get 3 ducklings. Haha.

Daughters are always convincing, aren't they? My sister convinced my father to buy buffaloes. Now I have to milk them.

We started with 6 then I *had* to take the kids to the feed store with me and that brought home another 6, 2 of which are accidental meat birds (TSC and their mislabeled bins and employees that have never had anything to do with chickens) so technically just 4 since our 2 Cornishes will be culled in a couple of weeks now. Then I go back with the whole family because we need feed and I wanted my husband to show me what he was talking about us using for the run and, of course, we can't leave without a peeping box. Our count was at 18 total with 2 to be culled early (I'm so sad because they're so sweet!) and that was satisfying. Our coop is plenty big to handle this many and more. More. A friend calls to tell me new chicks are in and they're marking down chicks and I can't help myself, I want at least 3. So we agree to split the order. She gets them and then radio silence. For a full 24 hours. Husband sees my disappointment and can't stand it so off to TSC we go and you can't buy less than 6 so.... chicken math. 24 chicks, 3 separate brooders, plenty of love to go around. After researching so much, I'm fairly certain that out of our first 6 Australorps, only 2 are actually Australorps. Unless 4-5 week old Black Australorp juvenile feathers are barred....? So I think we're actually looking at either Cuckoo Marans or Barred Rocks as both were for sale at the same time and many were in the same bins together. I really wish that TSC would hire people during chick days who have some kind of experience with chickens. Husband is officially, lovingly, referred to as the Chicken Man around these parts. We have one specific "Australorp" that adores him. Picture for cuteness. View attachment 1882468
For now, our flock stays at 24....... until I have to go back to get feed and they end up getting something in that I just can't say no to. :th Does everyone have this problem? I can't help myself.

We have duck math at our house!. First there was 2 than there was 4, -> 6-> 8 well you get it..lol..:wee

BUFFALOES! Oh come on, you can't tell us that and not post pictures!!!! :love

Buffaloes are pretty common livestock where I live, so I didn't bothered posting pictures.
First pic is of the buffaloes in the fields, they only return to get milked. Second pic is of a first time mom. Newly delivered moms are kept home for extra care.

Attachments

• IMG_20190729_142250.jpg
    IMG_20190729_142250.jpg
    645.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20171205_110336 (1).jpg
    20171205_110336 (1).jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 36
Cackle is in Lebanon, MO. For us it is about a 3 hour drive, I think. Although it is two days before we can pick up at our local post office, I think their journey is shorter than if i order from elsewhere and hopefully less stressful.

Thank you. It is sad they didn't make it. Many of the breeds I ordered are "out of stock" on their site now, so I am thinking I got the last of them. I didn't notify the hatchery as The first shipment when perfectly and sometimes these things happen. It isn't like they arrived dead.

I just meant Branson as a reference point. lol. It's actually about 7 minutes difference between Lebanon and Branson from here. That's as much as I know about Missouri. Haha! We made it to Leechville, AR for a funeral by way of Missouri once. Most hilarious expression on my grandmother's face when we passed the "Welcome to Missouri" sign and she realized that she had read the map wrong. :lau I think I may have to order from Cackle in the future! Next year.... next year.....next year..... I have to resist the urge to get any more.

Dang chicken math. Lol. I had 8 hens, then my brother in law asked me to take in his past 3 after his new pup killed the rest of his flock. Then I found 2 silkies for dirt cheap, and had to have them. Haha. And a couple weeks after that my girls convinced my husband to get 3 ducklings. Haha.

I was so sure he would say no. But he said it would teach them responsibility, guess who is actually taking care of them?:th

I just can't stop myself! I so want ducklings! And hah, before we got the girls, Chicken Man said WE were getting chickens. Which translates to, "I'll buy you chickens but you're doing everything else." At least our 7 year old helps with the dogs and cats. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom