Chicken moaning

Twylyght

Hatching
Mar 16, 2018
Greetings,
I have one very old chicken who just took up residence at my house about 3 years ago. There was 2 of them, both rooster, but the white one (that I named Blanca) quite showing up every day and I think he may have died back around Thanksgiving. The red one (that I call Rojo) is still alive and comes to my house every day, several times. I know it sounds strange, but I have adopted the chickens and Rojo is the only one left. He comes and I feed him and provide water and cluck with him and he is so cool! I have become atatched to this rooster. Anyway, I am in distress now because he always roosts at night in my azalia bush up next to the house, but tonight he is on the carport, up under a chair and facing the brick wall and making a groaning sound. It is a consistant sound as far as the length of the groan, and the pitch/tenor of the sound...just repeats this one sound over and over and over... He is standing up. His eyes are open. But when I make my chicken sounds that he usually comes to me when I do and he just looks at me and does not move. Just stays there and keeps making this same sound. I am very worried. I live way out in the country. The vets office is closed until Monday. I don't want my pet chicken to die. My question is this... Could he just be asleep or partially asleep? Could this just be him dreaming? Has this ever happened to anyone else and their chicken? I am looking for someone who may know if I should expect him to be dead in the morning when I go out to walk my dog or will he be ok. I am 62 years old and know nothing about this and I am very worried.

Could you video record maybe?
Other then that,why don’t you build or buy a coop and run?As well as gets him some girls!Would probably make him so happy.He could get killed not having shelter,Also do you have feed or water for him?

Could you video record maybe?
Other then that,why don’t you build or buy a coop and run?As well as gets him some girls!Would probably make him so happy.He could get killed not having shelter,Also do you have feed or water for him?
I have been feeding and watering him for almost a year. You can tell he is very old and very large. He must have got away from a neighbor or just let loose. Most all of my neighbors have free roaming chickens and they just go house to house all day long. He is a rooster that just showed up a long time ago and I have been taking care of him. He has been fine until now. And he is moaning. Everything else about him is fine. Just making the sound.

The problem with wild chickens is that chicken viruses get passed around pretty thoroughly. The regular moaning sound he's making could be his lungs. Chickens do not make any sounds directly from pain, so it is something involuntary.

Most chicken viruses have no cure. These viruses produce secondary infections where bacteria takes advantage of weakened immune systems, but an antibiotic would only treat those symptoms, not the virus.

If you can catch him, and if you can get hold of an antibiotic, you might be able to give it to him and help temporarily. There is also a chance he has a crop disorder. An impacted crop can sometimes cause a moaning sound. But you need to catch him to examine him. There is treatment for impacted crop. You can read about it here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom