Chicken Moat

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
I'm wanting to build a moat around my veggie garden any pictures & suggestion would be great. My garden is 1250 sq ft. My coop & run are built right by the garden here's a pic.
63768_gardeniddys_003.jpg

A chicken moat is a good idea, I wish I had the square footage to put one in.
Basically you put a second fence around the garden three feet from the first, with a second gate as well. Some moats have an airlock of sorts, with a tunnel UNDER the entry to allow the chickens to patrol without entering the airlock.
Here is a link to an article with a plot-plan for a moat.

I'm gonna cut a small pop door in my run so they can enter the moat from their existing run. Probably have the moat tall enough to walk in & have a top on it as well. I sure need to find some inexpensive wire. I will need the moat to be predator proof. During the growing season they will spend their days in the moat catching bugs. I use no chemicals on the farm & sell organic vegetables. Its definitely a challenge to grow Organically with 10 zillion bugs attacking your garden. I think the moat will really help. Any suggestion from fellow moat builders please chime in. I want to do it right the first time. I built my first coop & seems like I had to build it twice. Thanks 7L

Back
Top Bottom