Chicken newbie- urgent- mareks? Lost 2 chickens suddenly

animalyodelers

Songster
Oct 21, 2018
Olympia, WA, USA
Please help. I'm trying to read about what to do but theres a lot of info. We found one chicken dead in the coop, no signs of injury and she had no previous signs of illness. She had been acting normal earlier in the day.

The rest of the flock was acting normally.

Now (about an hour later) another is VERY lethargic. She's alive and breathing is maybe a little labored- no other signs. She will barely move, just her head a little.

They were different breeds but purchased from the same local breeder.

Is this possibly Mareks or what else could it be? What can I do for the rest of the flock? We have quarantined the one dying and washing food/water dishes, etc. We changed coop bedding too.

Sorry trying not to panic so I'm leaving things out.

I had 9 chicks, all around 8 weeks old. I had them all together in a small coop. As of now the sick/dying one is even more motionless but alive. The other 7 are acting totally normal.

But you put the new ones in your others?

Please help. I'm trying to read about what to do but theres a lot of info. We found one chicken dead in the coop, no signs of injury and she had no previous signs of illness. She had been acting normal earlier in the day.

The rest of the flock was acting normally.

Now (about an hour later) another is VERY lethargic. She's alive and breathing is maybe a little labored- no other signs. She will barely move, just her head a little.

They were different breeds but purchased from the same local breeder.

Is this possibly Mareks or what else could it be? What can I do for the rest of the flock? We have quarantined the one dying and washing food/water dishes, etc. We changed coop bedding too.
That sounds more like Coccidiosis. You'll need to treat them with Corid, 2 tsp to 1 gal of water every day for 5 days. If you're feeding medicated feed remove it and give non-medicated. Keep their brooder clean and dry.

Then it would not have mattered and may very well be Coccidiosis Corid can be bought at even walmart now I think

Thanks, I don't think my walmart has it but the feed store is just as close anyway. My daughter has been hand feeding her a little brown sugar water and she has perked up some. My husband is on his way home from feed store now, we'll treat everybody.

Thanks, I don't think my walmart has it but the feed store is just as close anyway. My daughter has been hand feeding her a little brown sugar water and she has perked up some. My husband is on his way home from feed store now, we'll treat everybody.

Perfect now cross the fingers big time this resolves it all may try that could be are they older than a day old ?

Back
Top Bottom