Chicken Nipple/Waterers

Quote:
If you were to use them with a bucket, which would be optimal?

No question in my mind. Push-In type are better for a bucket. The thickness of the bucket bottom makes drilling the 11/32" hole and forcing the grommet and nipple thru the hole much easier.

Using the threaded type to "cut" the threads into the bucket bottom is tedious work and prone to leakage that causes another set of problems to deal with. Also the threaded type require a 23/64" drill bit which certainly is not a common size and most folks will not find one in their tool box. Won't find one at WalMart either so you will have to shell out maybe $5 or $6 for a cheap one at a hardware store.

Last edited:
I just started my girls on the water nipples and I couldn't be happier. I didn't even take the time to introduce them to the girls. It was late in the afternoon when I hung up the bucket in the run. It has two water nipples on the bottom. The third nipple I put into the cap of a plastic water bottle and hung that up in the coop along with their old chick-size water fount. I intended to show the girls how the nipples work the next morning after I fed them breakfast. Lo and behold, some smart chick beat me to it. I came back outside about a half hour after feeding and three of them were drinking from the water nipples on the bucket
celebrate.gif
Within minutes, all were using the nipples. No one can tell me that chickens are dumb. No more poopy water!
wee.gif

From QC the cheapest shipping on one nipple is $6.15. That better be a good pair of gloves.
Does anyvone know where to get a better deal on a few nipples? Humm?

Quote:
I live in CA. where it freezes in the winter what do you do to keep yours from freezing?

We just put an aquarium heater in ours- works great!!
I LOVE the nipple/bucket system. Here are a few pictures of mine. Everyone else has already said everything else!

55040_272.jpg

55040_267.jpg

From QC the cheapest shipping on one nipple is $6.15. That better be a good pair of gloves.
Does anyvone know where to get a better deal on a few nipples? Humm?

Quote:
If you were to use them with a bucket, which would be optimal?

No question in my mind. Push-In type are better for a bucket. The thickness of the bucket bottom makes drilling the 11/32" hole and forcing the grommet and nipple thru the hole much easier.

Using the threaded type to "cut" the threads into the bucket bottom is tedious work and prone to leakage that causes another set of problems to deal with. Also the threaded type require a 23/64" drill bit which certainly is not a common size and most folks will not find one in their tool box. Won't find one at WalMart either so you will have to shell out maybe $5 or $6 for a cheap one at a hardware store.

I can't find an 11/32 drill bit without buying a 45 buck case o' bits' much less a 23/64 bit!

I can't find an 11/32 drill bit without buying a 45 buck case o' bits' much less a 23/64 bit!

I bet a friend/neighbor has one you could borrow.​

Quote:

Find it at...

Pick up at Lowes...$5.17 plus tax

Other places I saw it listed at were Ace Hardware and Sears....

Best wishes,
Ed

Back
Top Bottom