Chicken not eating or drinking, etc

Robobabe

Hatching
Jun 5, 2017
I have a chicken about 3 and a half or 4 months old who has had an interesting past few days. One day she seemed rather distant from the other chickens [my sister reports me this, I was unfortunatly gone] and the next day when I saw her, she was sitting in the corner of the fenced in area we keep them in, with her back end bloated to almost twice her normal size.

I was very concerned and contacted a friend of mine who was a long time 4H chicken breeder and owner, who suggested she was proabably constipated [due to her being too young to realistically produce eggs] and sugguested I seperate her and give her a few millileters of either mineral oil or glycerine.

So I went out to the store and bought glycerine, shes on her second dose in 24 hours of 2.5mil of it. [She reccomended more than one dose]

Shes been pooping [although less than Ive seen other chickens pooping], very lethargic and cuddly, and has spent most of her time asleep and unresponsive [all the chickens come to me when I call, she wont even lift her head]. I sleep a lot when Im sick, so this has me less concerned, but the tiny amount she is eating and drinking has me highly concerned. In the past day shes had a few small sips of diet powerade [with me forcing her beak in to make her drink], a few raisins, less than a gram of greenbeans and tomatoes, chopped almost to a pulp. Shes feeling very boney and Im worried shes not getting enough to sustain her. Her poop has been pretty runny [presumably from the laxatives] but has also had not terribly much by way of solids in it.

Is there a way I can get her to eat? Do you guys have suggestions besides her being constipated that you think are reasonable? Any extra steps I can take to try and keep her going? Ive been spending lots of time with her in my lap at my computer in case being seperated will freak her out [as shes been surrounded by others the rest of her life] in the event it will help to keep her calm. Enjoy the attacked photo, got a nice claw against my arm in protest of holding her upside-down!

Attachments

• 20170606_005916.jpg
    20170606_005916.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20170606_005905.jpg
    20170606_005905.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 30
If she's not eating she won't be pooping, I would stop the glycerine. Have you tried wetting her feed, what kind of crumbles are you feeding? Another food to try is the yolk of a boiled egg or scrambled egg, can tuna, or moist cat food....Nutri Drench and/or poultry vitamin/electrolytes in her water. I've read (somewhere) honey/sugar water but never tried that.

Not sure about the bloating, is it her underside feeling squishy? How's the coloring in her comb/wattles?

Hopefully someone with more experience will peep in soon. Keep her comfortable and hydrated. Good luck

I tried some of the chick starter that we have, but she outright ignores it. I was hoping by giving her fresh fruits and veggies she might be enticed to eat them as its something I use for them as treats. The diet Gatorade is there for hydration and some vitamims without tons of sugar, but Im not sure what good its doing as shes only had a few mil. Ill have to try the egg yolk tomorrow to see if she will try it. Fully cooked or slightly runny? Does it matter?

Underside isnt hard but not soft either. If you pinch between your thumb and pointer finger on your palm it has about that consistancy. Shes about 2x as wide as her sister is, and it makes it hard for her to walk as her body is now wider than her legs comfortably allow.

As for comb colour, shes black and its painfully hard to tell the variations of black. They look nearly identical in colour to her sisters.

The egg would boiled hard or scramble. Try stoppng the fresh fruits/veggies, mix some chick starter with water or plain yogurt or applesauce, making a mash.

No clue as to what's causing her underside so wide, hope someone can help out there.

Wound up boiling an egg for her this morning, mashing in some wet chick starter and some electrolite filled probiotic powder, shes currently devouring it, thank god. Shes still not drinking much but at least her food is nice and wet!

Back
Top Bottom