Chicken not laying eggs

pvchicken1

Songster
Mar 18, 2021
My sapphire gem has not been laying for the past 5 days. She usually lays 5-6 eggs a week. 2 weeks ago she was acting lethargic and didn’t want to eat or move. I watched her and suddenly he pooped out a egg white substance and the other chickens immediately started to eat it. A few hours later she was back normal. After 2 days she she went back to her laying routine. Then about 10 days later it happened again and she hasn’t laid anymore eggs. The day Before this happened again she laid an egg that was 2.76 oz.

She has acted normal since then and still hasn’t laid any more of her X-L eggs.

Attachments

• 7A6BB90E-C739-4914-8D10-42C954B41BF8.jpeg
    7A6BB90E-C739-4914-8D10-42C954B41BF8.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 26
  • 89975837-B003-4D5A-BD74-30F15C051207.jpeg
    89975837-B003-4D5A-BD74-30F15C051207.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 4
How old is she? Is she starting to molt? (Though more normal in fall, but can happen in other seasons depending on weather and age).

She may be having some production issues...the odd/off egg, shell-less eggs with only egg white.

This will probably just work itself out after she takes some time off for rest.

In the meantime, check her vent for redness, lices/mites, swelling.

Watch out for any pasty, thick white discharge (possible vent gleet) or worse, a rubber looking egg (no shell, no yolk, simply white rubbery substance). That would indicate inflammation and infection in the duct (salpingitis...not a good thing).

Worm her if she hasn't been.

Make sure she is getting enough calcium.

My thoughts.
LofMc

How old is she? Is she starting to molt? (Though more normal in fall, but can happen in other seasons depending on weather and age).

She may be having some production issues...the odd/off egg, shell-less eggs with only egg white.

Watch out for any pasty, thick white discharge (possible vent gleet) or worse, a rubber looking egg (no shell, no yolk, simply white rubbery substance). That would indicate inflammation and infection in the duct (salpingitis...not a good thing).

My thoughts.
LofMc
She is 1 year and 2 months old. She was my only chicken that did not molt during the fall/winter. Her eggs have always been on the thicker side but I can give her some more calcium. What should I deworm her with?

If you see some feathers floating, she likely is about to take her molt. She was too young to molt in fall, so she probably wants to now at the end of the first year. That is common.

Most of my favorite products are now off the market due to the "greenie" movement in Congress to eliminate meds at feed stores.

You can get safeguard goat wormer and place it in a mash. Look on the emergency/disease forum for dosage or check with @casportpony .

Personally, I find it easiest to administer Ivermectin cattle pour on (1% or 5mg/ml). I simply place it in 3ml tubes and give 1ml, or about 5mg per bird at the back of the neck or between the wings at skin level.

Ivermectin rids mites and round worms. Some find they have worms with resistance to it, but it has worked well for me. It was off the shelf for some time due to Covid scares (people using it for Covid), but I recently saw it come back into the feed store.

Likely she is just ending her first laying season and ready to rest for a bit. You'll probably see some feathers floating. Some birds molt hard (great missing patches) others molt soft (few floating here and there). Hard molters get it over with in a couple of weeks while soft molters can take weeks.

LofMc

My thoughts.
LofMc
Thank You, I will start looking for these signs in the coming days

Back
Top Bottom