Chicken not standing long

HuskerHens18

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Chickenlandia
Hello! Back again in my usual forum section :barnie

I've got a Favorelle x ISA brown cockerel who hatched April 4th.
He was the biggest chick, and definitely most fluffy.
Sadly that was short lived as he's now the smallest chick. He's bullied by his other cockeral and pullet flockmates. Yesterday I found him hiding in a nesting box and refused to come out. When I took him out he is pretty thin, which I presume is from being bullied out of the food.
He's currently in isolation with a friendly pullet.

His comb isn't very red, it's kind of dull colored compared to other cockerels his age.
He lays down a lot, rarely standing unless I bother him. He seems to walk fine, no limping.
His tail is droopy.
He prefers the sun over shade... it's about 85°F right now and very humid. His cage is half shade-half sun, he is laying directly in the sun whilst his pullet friend is in the shade.
He seems to stretch out his wings a lot, but pulls them right back in close to his body.
He is eating, but not as much as you'd think for being so hungry.
He is drinking pretty well.
His poop appears normal.

I have given him Nutri Drench straight down his throat.
He is currently being fed Nutrena Chick Starter Grower.
He has JUST finished his final round of Sulfa powder in his water. We have a strain of coccidia that's immune to Amprolium.
He was also on an anti diarrhea as told by vet.

I'm currently trying to look at his feet pads, but he's extremely fiesty and has drawn a lot of blood when I previously tried to look.
I will post pics in comments after a bit, my WiFi is bad and isn't letting me post pictures right now.

What else can I do for him?

Hello! Back again in my usual forum section :barnie

I've got a Favorelle x ISA brown cockerel who hatched April 4th.
He was the biggest chick, and definitely most fluffy.
Sadly that was short lived as he's now the smallest chick. He's bullied by his other cockeral and pullet flockmates. Yesterday I found him hiding in a nesting box and refused to come out. When I took him out he is pretty thin, which I presume is from being bullied out of the food.
He's currently in isolation with a friendly pullet.

His comb isn't very red, it's kind of dull colored compared to other cockerels his age.
He lays down a lot, rarely standing unless I bother him. He seems to walk fine, no limping.
His tail is droopy.
He prefers the sun over shade... it's about 85°F right now and very humid. His cage is half shade-half sun, he is laying directly in the sun whilst his pullet friend is in the shade.
He seems to stretch out his wings a lot, but pulls them right back in close to his body.
He is eating, but not as much as you'd think for being so hungry.
He is drinking pretty well.
His poop appears normal.

I have given him Nutri Drench straight down his throat.
He is currently being fed Nutrena Chick Starter Grower.
He has JUST finished his final round of Sulfa powder in his water. We have a strain of coccidia that's immune to Amprolium.
He was also on an anti diarrhea as told by vet.

I'm currently trying to look at his feet pads, but he's extremely fiesty and has drawn a lot of blood when I previously tried to look.
I will post pics in comments after a bit, my WiFi is bad and isn't letting me post pictures right now.

What else can I do for him?
I had the same thing happen to Niklas my Light Sussex Cockerel. He was huge as a youngster, then began to show those same signs that your bird is. He began loosing weight at alarming rates and his crown began to go pale. His little sister, who was suffering the same thing, died from it, but he held on. He was timid of other birds, so I allowed him to be in a huge open pen with some others with plenty of food and scratch lying around. Day by day he is recovering

I had the same thing happen to Niklas my Light Sussex Cockerel. He was huge as a youngster, then began to show those same signs that your bird is. He began loosing weight at alarming rates and his crown began to go pale. His little sister, who was suffering the same thing, died from it, but he held on. He was timid of other birds, so I allowed him to be in a huge open pen with some others with plenty of food and scratch lying around. Day by day he is recovering
Oh no :( I'm so sorry to hear that. I'll keep up with the Nutri Drench until I can get a better pen for him. Right now he's in a large dog crate by my door so I can better monitor him. My WiFi still isn't letting me upload pics of him

Oh no :( I'm so sorry to hear that. I'll keep up with the Nutri Drench until I can get a better pen for him. Right now he's in a large dog crate by my door so I can better monitor him. My WiFi still isn't letting me upload pics of him
I must add it did happen to a couple more of my birds, but when I gave them more space (5 acres of land) they began to recover. I guess it's exercise that helps :confused:. Keep up with the Nutri Drench and I really hope your bird recovers :fl

I must add it did happen to a couple more of my birds, but when I gave them more space (5 acres of land) they began to recover. I guess it's exercise that helps :confused:. Keep up with the Nutri Drench and I really hope your bird recovers :fl
That's good to know.
After a horrible wrestle to hold him still, he did have poop stuck in a fold of his right foot. His other foot is clean. When I cleaned the poop out, there's a section that looks like dried poop and when I attempted to pull it off he began screaming. So I left it alone. I'm wondering if he is getting bumblefoot? I don't know if I own any Epsom salt, I will have to look.

That's good to know.
After a horrible wrestle to hold him still, he did have poop stuck in a fold of his right foot. His other foot is clean. When I cleaned the poop out, there's a section that looks like dried poop and when I attempted to pull it off he began screaming. So I left it alone. I'm wondering if he is getting bumblefoot? I don't know if I own any Epsom salt, I will have to look.
That's really good that he wrestles when you grab him. My sick ones wouldn't even react to me. Try soaking the foot in water and take a good look. If it is bumble foot (which I doubt considering he is loosing facial color) I can be of no help. I have never been able to cure it in my chickens :hmm

That's really good that he wrestles when you grab him. My sick ones wouldn't even react to me. Try soaking the foot in water and take a good look. If it is bumble foot (which I doubt considering he is loosing facial color) I can be of no help. I have never been able to cure it in my chickens :hmm
Ill give It a shot and see what happens. I kind of doubt it too as he isn't limping at all, I think it only hurts when I'm poking and prodding the area.

20180721_141447.jpg

That dark spot is his skin, it won't come off. I soaked him in just water and tried to rub it off, but it isn't coming off.

Back
Top Bottom