Chicken or Duck?

What do you think?

• Duck

Votes: 28 87.5%
  • Chicken

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
For now just hang tight :) If it is a Call, it may need end up needing help to hatch, especially with it being shipped. You may want to take a read through this article, just in case: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Pet quality Calls usually hatch okay on their own, since they are not as good representations of the standard and have longer beaks and necks. However, Ruby's Calls aren't pet quality, and shipping can make it harder for them to hatch too.

The typier and closer to standard they are, the harder it is for them to hatch, since the better they are the smaller and shorter their beaks and necks are, making it very hard for them to pip and zip. Breeders of top show quality Calls may even only get one or two a year to successfully hatch.

Ruby's are nice quality. Not top show quality, but breeder quality at least. When I got Call eggs from her, I had to assist them.

X2!!

Do not assist yet and even if a Call they are not hard to hatch..I have excellent success hatching them..
Your lucky. I only got three out of 12 my first ones. And they were with a brood y mama. No interference from me until the end except a few candleing sessions and put right back. only one hatched on its own the other two I finally assisted after 30 plus hours from external pip. The rest had already died in the shell. I am certain they would never have made it out.

Your lucky. I only got three out of 12 my first ones. And they were with a brood y mama. No interference from me until the end except a few candleing sessions and put right back. only one hatched on its own the other two I finally assisted after 30 plus hours from external pip. The rest had already died in the shell. I am certain they would never have made it out.
:hugs

That's too bad...No I have great success with minimum issues...I really can't say what I do better as opossed to anyone else though...Not sure?...Better luck next time...

:hugs

Your Duck and Jane are super small and very typey Calls... that makes a big difference in hatchability of the eggs and amount of assistance that is needed...

In the article it says now is a good time to open up the air cell. In fact, it may be a little past that time, maybe about 20 hrs since I made the safety hole. What would you guys do? Yay or nay? I'm kind of leaning towards yay but I'm not super experienced with this.

Back
Top Bottom