Chicken or Duck?

What do you think?

• Duck

Votes: 28 87.5%
  • Chicken

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
Day 26: No progress yet...but I thought I saw some rocking. Is there anything else I should do, do you think?

For now just hang tight :) If it is a Call, it may need end up needing help to hatch, especially with it being shipped. You may want to take a read through this article, just in case: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Pet quality Calls usually hatch okay on their own, since they are not as good representations of the breed and have longer beaks and necks. However, Ruby's Calls aren't pet quality, and shipping can make it harder for them to hatch too.

The typier and closer to standard they are, the harder it is for them to hatch, since the better they are the smaller and shorter their beaks and necks are, making it very hard for them to pip and zip. Breeders of top show quality Calls may even only get one or two a year to successfully hatch.

Ruby's are nice quality. Not top show quality, but breeder quality at least. When I got Call eggs from her, I had to assist them.

Last edited:
I'll get home at around 4 this afternoon, but I'm getting updates from my family. So far nothing else has happened. Someone else forwarded me that article a while back when I had another problem with a chick hatching. It's really helpful, thank you.

You're welcome! I'm glad that it helped :)

Back
Top Bottom