Chicken or Duck?

What do you think?

• Duck

Votes: 28 87.5%
  • Chicken

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
Unfortunately I am the bearer of bad news. I followed the instructions in the article and opened up the air cell just a tiny bit to see if it had pipped. Sadly, I don't think the little guy made it. It hadn't internally pipped, which was strange because I was sure I thought I heard it chirping, and it looked pipped last night when I candled. I also didn't see any motion. I gently poked the chick with the Q-tip and it had no response. I couldn't tell if it was a duck or silkie, but I think duck. It had yellow feathers, darker yellow than my white silkies, and the skin was not very black. I know I originally planned on opening it up to see what had gone wrong, but now that the time has come I'm a little squeamish about it. I've never been very good at those things, and have done it in the past, but I don't think I can stomach it today. I might tomorrow morning when it is light outside, so I can do it outdoors. From what I can see now, it seems that it made it pretty far, with almost all of the veins absorbed. We'll see tomorrow what it actually turned out to be.

However, this little journey has inspired me to maybe get a pair of female call ducks sometime in the spring or near future. I might order a half dozen call duck eggs from Ruby sometime in the future, and if I do, I will notify you all on this thread. I'd like to do a bit more research so I'm not as unprepared, and finish building my run first, so there will be more room.

Thank you to everyone who pitched in and helped along the way. It was a lot of fun talking to everyone on here, and I learned a lot more about ducks as well.
So sorry :hugs

Yeah, my welshies which are mallard derived don't lay green eggs and I just started getting my first Call eggs and they aren't green either. In fact, most of the eggs I got from Ravyn weren't green. Nor were the other Call eggs I bought from a different breeder.
you are getting eggs? are you using supplemental lighting??

Awesome! :thumbsup

She actually got her first Calls from me, lol... and I *have* mixed up eggs before, just ask @DwayneNLiz I sent her some of my greener looking Call eggs and she got an early surprise, a Silkie mix I have lays green tinted eggs and has free roam... she laid some eggs in the Call pen and she hatched 2 Silkie mixes with her Calls, lol!

But from your pic, I still think that is a Silkie egg though... shipping damages and/or delay can cause stunted or malformed development... it *may or may not* hatch... *if* it doesn't hatch, will you open it to verify what it is?
and they were the cutest little silkie mutts ever!! LOL

They are the loudest duck when the girls 'sound off' or alert call, but honestly the standard sized ducks are noisier 'talkers' throughout the day from my experinece... :)
agreed!

Unfortunately I am the bearer of bad news. I followed the instructions in the article and opened up the air cell just a tiny bit to see if it had pipped. Sadly, I don't think the little guy made it. It hadn't internally pipped, which was strange because I was sure I thought I heard it chirping, and it looked pipped last night when I candled. I also didn't see any motion. I gently poked the chick with the Q-tip and it had no response. I couldn't tell if it was a duck or silkie, but I think duck. It had yellow feathers, darker yellow than my white silkies, and the skin was not very black. I know I originally planned on opening it up to see what had gone wrong, but now that the time has come I'm a little squeamish about it. I've never been very good at those things, and have done it in the past, but I don't think I can stomach it today. I might tomorrow morning when it is light outside, so I can do it outdoors. From what I can see now, it seems that it made it pretty far, with almost all of the veins absorbed. We'll see tomorrow what it actually turned out to be.

However, this little journey has inspired me to maybe get a pair of female call ducks sometime in the spring or near future. I might order a half dozen call duck eggs from Ruby sometime in the future, and if I do, I will notify you all on this thread. I'd like to do a bit more research so I'm not as unprepared, and finish building my run first, so there will be more room.

Thank you to everyone who pitched in and helped along the way. It was a lot of fun talking to everyone on here, and I learned a lot more about ducks as well.
:hugs so sorry to read this :hugs

with any incubation it is difficult. we are trying to mimic a hen/duck with a machine and a fan :/ shipped eggs are even harder, then to go with some of the hardest to hatch breeds any way :th silkies and call ducks are very difficult. quality silkies have a vaulted skull which can cause them to get stuck, not pip, etc call have short little bills and necks which makes it difficult to turn around in the eggs and zip

:hugs you did very well and i am happy to see that you are looking into getting a pair of call ducks, you wont be disappointed with their big personalities in the cutest little package :love

Good luck on your endeavor!!

Back
Top Bottom