Chicken owner killed lab trying to attack him and his flock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I am so sorry - that is terrifying to be in that position. People forget that dogs are predators, and then try and make out that "that dog would never do that" when it's clearly been caught doing the wrong thing.

One day I saw a pack of dogs killing my livestock... it was in the winter, there was snow about 3' deep, I had to wear snow shoes, and run about half a mile out there in the pasture because I could not get a good shot over the brow of the hill and was afraid I'd shoot one of my own animals. As I was running out there the dogs pulled down and killed yet another animal. Well it's a **** good thing I took my gun with me because when I got out there, exhausted and barely able to stand, the dogs started stalking ME. If I had not had my gun that day, I would not be writing this right now, I'd be dead.

It's an incredibly scary thing to be stalked by dogs. One thing I would say, if your whole town is going crazy: tell your story, clearly, and then just don't talk about it anymore. I hope you and your dog and chickens are OK.

there are coyote out here and people drop their unwanted animals out here all the time.

this site is loaded with pop up ads.very annoying.

this site is loaded with pop up ads.very annoying.
Try Ad-Blocker. https://adblockplus.org/ Works for me!
smile.png

What did you do after you shot the dog? How did the owners find out you shot it? I'm just curious. I would do the same if there was a dog stalking my property. They'll just kill for fun.

Bury it and never tell anyone, not even friends.
If everyone knows it was you already and they really are telling the truth about the dog not being vicious, well good luck with that.

Most states in the US have laws protecting you from prosecution when you see your livestock under attack. An uncollared and strange dog has no right to be on your property and if anything its owners could be held culpable for any damages you received should they come forward to claim the body. Stand your ground, know your rights. Protecting your flock is your duty, never feel they deserve anything less. Canines are the #1 killer of BYC flocks. Best Wishes.

glad you are ok. did the law come after you
No, where I live, it is legal to shoot a dog that is killing livestock. We have brand inspectors who are a special type of LE in charge of all things livestock, including if someone is not feeding their horses or something. So, dog killing animals? If they find the owner, and the dog is still alive, the owner has to take the dog to a vet and have it humanely euthanized, plus they also usually get a ticket and have to appear in court.

What are the laws where you are? I know in some places, the laws may be strict but the enforcement is not... we have had huge court cases here, where a dog owner thinks it's OK for a dog to kill someone's horse, but so far they have all been defeated in court and the owner of the dead animal is backed by law. But it's not that way everywhere.

I really recommend that people check their local laws. Where I live, livestock are considered to have value and the rights of the owner of livestock are protected... but in some parts of the world, people think pets are more important than anything else, so they would think livestock was not important and worry more about a pet than a livestock animal.

the whole town is upset and has spread all over facebook. they are trying to make it look like it was just a nice family dog. i live in the middle of nowhere and there was n o collar.

Just curious of how the news of this happening got out and about, especially on facebook since you live in the middle of nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom