Sophiekins_

Hatching
May 9, 2020
Hi everyone.
I posted on here a few months ago explaining how my bantam was making odd sounds when breathing. Although this isn’t as bad as it was, she now seems to be panting very rapidly. It is hot here at the moment, about 25-30c but the other chickens don’t seem to be affected as much. She has been panting for about 4 days now but the panting stops when she forages, eats, drinks and bends over to sort her feathers out. We have wormed them a few times, currently worming again to see if it does anything as we thought she could have gapeworm? If anyone has had similar experiences or knows what it could be please let me know! Thank you :)

My chickens always pant in hot weather. That's how they cool down.
What breed is she? Some breeds are more affected by the heat which would explain why she is panting more than the other chickens.
She is a pekin bantam, we have two pekins and two silkies. The others pant when out in the sun but are fine in the shade while this chicken seems to be panting very rapidly almost all the time. Which is why I’m not sure if it’s the heat causing it. Thank you for your reply

She is a pekin bantam, we have two pekins and two silkies. The others pant when out in the sun but are fine in the shade while this chicken seems to be panting very rapidly almost all the time. Which is why I’m not sure if it’s the heat causing it. Thank you for your reply

That breed is super fluffy, so that's probably why she's so hot. You could try spraying her a little with water. Don't drench her though. Just get her outer feathers a little wet.

Back
Top Bottom