Chicken plucking

DeyoeChick

In the Brooder
May 26, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I am needing the expert advise of you fellow Chicken farmers. I am notice there is more than the normal pecking order going on. A few chickens are being targeted and feathers are being plucked right by the ball of their tails. I watched and I have identified one of the pluckers. How does not stop this behavior before they all do it.

My last batch of chickens started doing this and then blood was drawn and it was down hill from there. I asked around last time and I tried the peepers, spraying the back ends to heal and cover up the red with special blue spray. As red color is an attractant to this behavior.

Let me know your experience and how you have worked through this. Our chickens are in a enclosed coop with two sections, layer area and play/feeding/watering area. We are adding a small outside enclosed area soon, so they can have more room. We have lots of wildlife in our area and free range is not possible. We tried and within matter of hours once, a few chickens were taken.

Thank you for your help and guidence in advance.

IME blukote can attract as much pecking attraction as blood...
...and it doesn't really solve the cause of the problem.

More info would help.

How many birds, what are their genders and ages?

How much space do they have in coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would really help here.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Let's see if I understand this right. You had chickens, they developed this behavior, and you no longer have those chickens. You got a new batch of chickens and this behavior is starting again. Am I wrong somewhere?

This behavior can be learned, but it is kind of unusual for two independent flocks of chickens to develop this same behavior. But since yours have, lets look at possible causes. That's why Aart asked those questions.

Behavior problems are very often caused by a lack of room. Overcrowding is bad. So how many chickens and how much room do you have. What are their ages?

Have you checked for mites or lice? They are sometimes involved in this type of behavior.

It's possible they are looking for a protein source. What are you feeding them, what percent protein feed? Are you giving them a lot of low protein treats? It's not how much protein is in one bite but how many total grams of protein do they average throughout the day.

Is it just one hen doing it? You said you have identified one. Sometimes even if there is no reasonable explanation why one hen will get in this habit. I'd immediately lock her up for a few days to see if you can break her of this habit.

Hello Everyone,

I am needing the expert advise of you fellow Chicken farmers. I am notice there is more than the normal pecking order going on. A few chickens are being targeted and feathers are being plucked right by the ball of their tails. I watched and I have identified one of the pluckers. How does not stop this behavior before they all do it.

My last batch of chickens started doing this and then blood was drawn and it was down hill from there. I asked around last time and I tried the peepers, spraying the back ends to heal and cover up the red with special blue spray. As red color is an attractant to this behavior.

Let me know your experience and how you have worked through this. Our chickens are in a enclosed coop with two sections, layer area and play/feeding/watering area. We are adding a small outside enclosed area soon, so they can have more room. We have lots of wildlife in our area and free range is not possible. We tried and within matter of hours once, a few chickens were taken.

Thank you for your help and guidence in advance.
Let's see if I understand this right. You had chickens, they developed this behavior, and you no longer have those chickens. You got a new batch of chickens and this behavior is starting again. Am I wrong somewhere?

This behavior can be learned, but it is kind of unusual for two independent flocks of chickens to develop this same behavior. But since yours have, lets look at possible causes. That's why Aart asked those questions.

Behavior problems are very often caused by a lack of room. Overcrowding is bad. So how many chickens and how much room do you have. What are their ages?

Have you checked for mites or lice? They are sometimes involved in this type of behavior.

It's possible they are looking for a protein source. What are you feeding them, what percent protein feed? Are you giving them a lot of low protein treats? It's not how much protein is in one bite but how many total grams of protein do they average throughout the day.

Is it just one hen doing it? You said you have identified one. Sometimes even if there is no reasonable explanation why one hen will get in this habit. I'd immediately lock her up for a few days to see if you can break her of this habit.

We have a 8 x 12 food Coop that has two sections as stated above. 18 hens all the same breed and they are 14 Weeks old. We are going to add the outside space is going to be 8 x 12.

We are feeding them Dumor Starter/Finisher with 15% Protien. We do not do many treats. Last batch of hens we did the treats to give them something to do and I think we made it worse, in terms of their diets. So I learned that lesson the first time around.

The first batch got so aggressive with each other is was not a good environment. We quarantined those we thought was doing it and many things. That batch also developed egg eaters. So I would check the coop more frequently to remove eggs as they were being laid, to remove temptation. So as I read and learn from others it seems to be a balance diet issue.

I love my girls and want them to be happy. I need to learn the way to balance them out. We do have oyster shells to give if that would help. What are ways to provide them the protein they need. One person suggested Tuna at night before they roost.

Last batch we provided cracked corn in the winter months mixed with their feed to help keep them warm. Was that a good or bad thing.

I love having a means of asking questions. This is very helpful :)

We have a 8 x 12 food Coop that has two sections as stated above. 18 hens all the same breed and they are 14 Weeks old. We are going to add the outside space is going to be 8 x 12.

A "food coop" is...? Do you have a photo? From the sounds of it the total amount of space your chickens have is 8x12, and you're adding another 8x12?

Crowding is an issue. 18 chickens should have 72 sq ft minimum enclosed (that's the coop) PLUS 180 sq ft minimum outside (that's the run). 8x12 is only 96 sq ft. and doubling that is 192 sq ft... you'd still be short at least 60 sq ft. even with the new addition. You need to go bigger.

Last edited:
We are feeding them Dumor Starter/Finisher with 15% Protien.
My Golden Comets started feather plucking when I switched from a 18% feed to a 16%.
I would switch them to a Feed with 20% Protein. I always fed my chicks a 18% Start and Grow feed. I recommend a 18/20% Protein from day old chicks till point of lay and right through adulthood. I will never again feed less than 18% to a chicken of any age.

Back
Top Bottom