Dealing with Bullies: Separation Pen and Egg Laying

May 29, 2019
My 4+ y/o RIR, Willy Honka, is a great chicken.... most of the time. However, since this time last year, when my BO Glory starts to molt and blood feather nubs start showing up around her vent/rear end, Willy Honka becomes OBSESSED with plucking and pecking them. Inevitably, this causes bleeding and thus even more interest. So, every year, at this time, I have to separate Willy Honka until Glory's blood feathers grow in and stop looking tantalizing to Willy.

My SO and I built a separation pen in the interior of the run so that Willy can still be near her flock but unable to harass Glory. It's pretty spacious (4' x 4' ish?), with a roosting bar, food, water, and dust bathing area. For a nesting box, I used a wooden board and leaned it against one of the walls in the shaded area and made a little nest under it. I know this isn't ideal, but this is what I had on hand at the time. Yesterday, her first day in her separation pen, I could tell she was extra agitated and it became obvious she had to lay. She was super worked up and didn't seem keen on laying in her area, so eventually I put her in the coop to lay (and she made all the jurassic noises she usually makes when laying).

Afterward, though, NO EGG. I'm really worried that separating her interrupted her laying due to stress and may have incurred internal laying or another issue. She's in her pen again today, but I'm super stressed already about if she'll need to lay, and whether not being in her normal area will cause her to become egg bound or to lay internally. What do ya'all do with bully hens in separation areas? Do you find they'll just lay in their space? Or should I create a better nook for laying? I understand some people keep their bully hens in a large dog crate in the run--and in those cases, how/where do they lay?

Can you switch them back and forth? Make sure Glory can access her normal nest when ready to lay?
I could and I've thought about it. I just feel bad separating her since she's just the innocent victim (and since she's at the bottom of the pecking order, I hate to add insult to injury). I'd rather punish the bully--but also I want her "punishment" to be comfortable lol.

If my RIR seems to be having issues I may go ahead and make the switch.

I agree with AArt - add an egg to the nest. Mine LOVE a new nest. I would not worry about this. She will lay again.

Mrs K
She didn't lay again today, but didn't really act like she had to. However, her poops have turned very watery (though she's still energetic, eating, drinking, crop emptying, etc.). Hopefully it's just the heat and she's not having a reproductive issue.

Thank you and @aart for the tips! I will work on fixing up a better nest.

If you add nothing at all, she will eventually just drop the egg on the floor inside her enclosure. I put broodies in the breaker so fast that the last egg often gets dropped on the ground, and it's never caused an issue.
That's good to know. Unfortunately, I think there may be a bigger issue now. Today she once again acted like she needed to lay, went in the nest box, and sang a song as if she laid, but no egg. I'm hoping with all my heart is not a dreaded case of internal laying (the only thing that's ever taken my hens thus far :hit) I lost two of my best girls to this a year ago, when they turned three.

Back
Top Bottom