Chicken poo

It depends a lot on your situation and what it is composed of. How often do you clean it out and how much volume are you talking about?

Some people, especially in the city, might bag it and ship it off to the landfill. Some people use it to make compost. I clean mine out once every three or four years and put that on my garden in the fall so it has broken down by planting time. Some people do that every fall. Some clean weekly and do something with it.

I use a droppings board to collect fresh poop and put that in my regular compost pile. That reduces how often I have to clean out the coop itself plus gives me great compost. If the poop gets too thick on the compost pile it can stay wet and draw flies. When that starts to happen I turn the compost or put fresh grass trimmings or dried leaves over it to hide it.

One big factor in how you dispose of the poop or poop plus bedding is that if it stays wet, the poop can start to stink. The same thing can happen if your coop or run stay wet. Depending in what your property looks like and how it is used, spreading it out might work but it could also cause some real issues. What kind of bedding and how much bedding you have with it can affect the appearance or how it beaks down too.

My personal preference is to use it for compost or in the garden but I don't have a clue what is the best for you and your unique situation.

I wasn't sure if I could put it in the garden. Someone told me that it's considered hot and we'll kill things. I do have a big Garden at the bottom of my property where it would be easy to dispose it
It is hot. However if you put it into your garden in the fall it will have all winter to mellow. :)

Back
Top Bottom