Chicken Popsicles, Anyone tried this?

Cowgrl4life

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 6, 2010
Just curious if anyone has tried this. Hearing its supposed to get over 100 degrees here tomorrow, I was trying to come up with a way to help keep my chickens cool. Inspired by the flock blocks they carry at work, I wondered if freezing BOSS, Scratch, and Water into popsicles would be appealing to them. Came home and made them, they're in the freezer now. Just curious if anyone else has tried this.

lau.gif
When I read your topic title, I pictured chickens being made into popsicles! Time to take a break from the computer.

I made (corn) grits and put the remainder in the freezer in spoonfuls. I break one of those out and they have a good time pecking at the little pieces that come off. Keeps them busy and they sure like it. I think mine prefer the instant cold stuff like yogurt, or soft veggies (like squash or cucumber) straight from the fridge. I read from someone else who gives watermelon when it's really hot.

I filled a plastic gallon milk jug with water and froze it overnight and keep that in the run where they can lay next to it, drink the condensation, or sit on it if they want. I just clean it off at night, stick it in a plastic grocery bag and pop it back in the freezer each night to use again the next day. I keep a 2 liter soda bottle frozen too in case I need 2 per day, but the milk jug hasn't seemed to completely thaw in one day.

Lots of fresh water available - I check them and refill (sometimes with ice cubes in the afternoon) 2-3 times a day.

Shade!

I don't have a fan hooked up out there, but I might do that someday.

- Tracy
Orlando, FL

I cut up a watermelon yesterday and saved the rinds, Put them in a bag and put them in the freezer. I will have chickendaddy (DH) give the girls some over the weekend while I am at work. They love anything cold so I figure they will love these when it is hot this weekend.

Quote:
We go through ALOT of watermelon, we love the stuff especially my 5 yr old. I do this, give them some fresh rinds and then cut up the rest of the rinds and freeze it to give to them other days especially really hot days. all my chickens love it, but especially my silkies and brahmas.

Back
Top Bottom