Chicken/quail hybrid???

Do the hybrids grow larger or take longer to start laying, like a chicken would? What an interesting idea.

Oh you people! It is impossible to create a chicken/quail hybrid as they are different species and cannot interbreed. You cannot breed a human with a chimpanzee. Hybrid animals are genetically similar. Quails and chicken are not genetically compatible and will produce dud eggs, if mated. It is a bloody scam. The seller probably has a bag of magical beans too. I am shocked that 1 person bid on the item.

Last edited:
Oh you people! It is impossible to create a chicken/quail hybrid as they are different species and cannot interbreed. You cannot breed a human with a chimpanzee. Hybrid animals are genetically similar. Quails and chicken are not genetically compatible and will produce dud eggs, if mated. It is a bloody scam. The seller probably has a bag of magical beans too. I am shocked that 1 person bid on the item.

I am very curious about hybrids so I looked it up - never seen one myself but apparently since chicken and quail are in the same "super family", it's possible for them to breed but with an extremely low (or even nil) hatching rate - I never knew! :D

https://academic.oup.com/jhered/art...2674/CHICKEN-QUAIL-HYBRIDS?redirectedFrom=PDF

Only read this excerpt but skimmed a few other papers on the subject - doesn't seem to be the nicest thing for the birds though :hmm

Oh you people! It is impossible to create a chicken/quail hybrid as they are different species and cannot interbreed.

I agree with you about the offspring being sterile, but the actual cross of a chicken and quail is not something impossible. It has been done "for decades".

This is from a restricted source, so I should not post the actual copy of the article, but these folks in the 1970's did it. They found it only worked with the mother being a quail. Mother chicken did not work.

Journal or Book Title: Poultry science
Article or Chapter Title: "Attempts to Obtain Quail x Chicken Hybrids"
Author: Sarvella, P
Issue: 5
Month:
Year: 1970
Pages: 1176-1178

Last edited:
image.jpeg
This lil guy looks cute <3

Back
Top Bottom