Chicken/quail hybrid???

Pics

JenandHerQuails

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 5, 2013
Derby, CT
I was looking on ebay for hatching quail eggs and found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261369721077
Someone is selling chicken/quail hybrid hatching eggs! I would love to bid on them but I want to make sure this is real. Has anyone had quail hybrids before? Pictures would be great!
big_smile.png

They have been selling those eggs for a few months now. Never heard of a quail mixed with any other kind of fowl other then diffferent kinds of quail.

Personally I would avoid it. The reason being is that the seller is saying that the breeding happens by natural process, the only proven coturnix-chicken hybirds I have seen have been inseminated. All he has to do is not guarantee the hatch due to shipping concerns and send you any old coturnix egg since he supposedly has an easter egger bantam roo covering a coturnix hen. Even if he is getting hybrids by natural breeding there is no way the process is safe/humane for the quail, and that is leaving out the fact that chickens carry diseases that are often fatal to quail.

Here is some reading on the insemination subject. The fertility rate of inseminated eggs was low. The hatch rate was even lower. And this guy is selling "hybrids" that supposedly happen through natural cover? I'm skeptical to say the least.

Thanks for the advice! I probably wont get them. Your right, this person could just send me regular quail eggs... Here is what the seller said to my question about the eggs:

Well they are interesting , Eggs are laid by the female quail only so the eggs look like any other quail egg,but...... if you mean the eggs laid by the hybrid bird those eggs sometimes look like easter egger chicken eggs and other hybrids eggs look like quail eggs,just depends on who genes are stronger in the hybrid.same goes for color and size & when they start laying eggs for you, they lay beween 6wks to 6 mths ,incubation may range from 19 -21 days from what i have hatched,Nice birds..But i cant take credit entirely for them,I discovered these hyrids on a trip to Japan at a small side street market,they cant reproduce many farmers over seas will continue to try,you can get more info if you google it,there are a few articals on the subject..........THANKS MUCH FOR LOOKING

- americanproducts.stores

Yeah that sounds pretty snake oily to me. For me even if they are the real thing I don't like the idea of the breeding process, if inseminated i'd feel better about it, but a chicken covering a quail isn't something I'm interested in seeing or promoting.

Should anyone reading this thread decide to purchase these eggs please do let us know the outcome for knowledge's sake.

I have 4 hybrids I got accidentally. Thinking they were baby Bob whites. But she said they are a mix. I thought she meant of quails not quails and chickens. !! They are tiny as a quail but have a comb like a chicken. They seem content though.

Back
Top Bottom