Chicken Recovering from Dog Attack

Mrs Ugh

Songster
Sep 16, 2017
Central Virginia
Yesterday morning, my newly-laying Isa Brown decided to fly out of their run and into my dogs' run. I came out to find her laying on her back with two dogs surrounding her. I thought she must be dead, but she was breathing when I got there! I picked her up and checked her out. A ton of feathers everywhere, but surprisingly no blood. I isolated her in the garage in case she had internal injuries. She does not seem back to normal, but she is up and ate some - even laid an egg! When should I put her back with the others? Any special reintroduction needed? Just watch her for awhile? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20180223_080943.jpg
    IMG_20180223_080943.jpg
    528.4 KB · Views: 5
I would give her some more time. She went through shock and I would let her eat n drink more, because she could have some sort of injury you can't see. is she having any pain that you can see?

She does not seem to be in pain,but she is much more calm than I would expect for a hen in a small box! I see her standing, but I can't tell if she can walk okay. Maybe I'll let her out in the garage later today and see how she does. Thanks.

I put Rapunzel out in the garage. She is pecking at the "flock party" I put out for her, but her right leg or foot is injured. She walks, but with a distinct limp. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20180223_124641.jpg
    IMG_20180223_124641.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I put Rapunzel out in the garage. She is pecking at the "flock party" I put out for her, but her right leg or foot is injured. She walks, but with a distinct limp. Any suggestions?
If you can hold her still enough, do some (gentle!!) prodding to see where it's actually hurt. I'd wrap it well and/or loosely spilt it, and if you can get access to liquid pain medicine give her a few doses and see if she puts a little weight on it again. If none of that's available then just give her a lil time, if it's somehow permanently damaged then after the pain leaves she'll just be a bum leg hen :p

Firstly, I am SO GLAD your little hen was not injured much worse! What a blessing. It's been a long time since I rehabilitated a hen who was attacked by dogs, so I have to just agree in saying yes, give her time to settle down. Keep a careful eye putting her back in the flock. I hope she recovers well, and keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom