Chicken seems in a daze

tannsyim

Chirping
Apr 27, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone.
Not sure if I should worry or not but I just went to check on my chickens and the one that is usually first to me jumps on my lap, eager for if I have treats didn’t move. She stayed perched so I took her out and she just stands there staring. I put food infront of her i put bugs that she usually chases and nothing she just lightest will step forward aorta in a daze. She usually is so quick and perky to try to get anything and everything.
Is this normal that maybe she’s having an off day? Her vent is okay I don’t see any bugs and her comb is red and has a bit of dark red on the end but she had been picked on weeks ago and it got dark red then and slowly healing now just one spot left. What could this be.? Oh she’s also a lohmann white

Attachments

• C692DA32-F668-4696-96C5-609E4331313F.jpeg
    C692DA32-F668-4696-96C5-609E4331313F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • E05E3BF8-827C-419E-AC49-F8B07262C7EF.jpeg
    E05E3BF8-827C-419E-AC49-F8B07262C7EF.jpeg
    686.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 28E5F261-F40C-47B6-8704-5BA98187289A.jpeg
    28E5F261-F40C-47B6-8704-5BA98187289A.jpeg
    414.6 KB · Views: 6
Not quite sure what it is.. but I'll see if I can help in any way. :)

Does she appear to be off balance in any way? Did something give her a bad spook? Did she get injured in any way? Has it been very hot lately?
I'd place her in the sun, and see how she does. She could be egg bound... Maybe try giving (in a swring) some sugar and water mixed together (with maybe some good ACV for immune) to give her some energy. Either way, for now, my best suggesting is place her out in the sun. If overheated, put in a cool bath. Make certain that her feet can touch the bottom, and gently get some of the cold water on the bare spots under her wings.

I don't know if any of this helps, but I hope that it does. :)

This may be gross but I put her I. Her nesting box all day and I just checked and this is the only dropping or maybe egg? I don’t know. I just naught a syringe to maybe administer electrolytes? It was super cloudy today and no sun. Anybody have any idea? Please and thank you.

Attachments

• EBB8FB56-DD9F-4E01-B78A-52C4CA4D20E9.jpeg
    EBB8FB56-DD9F-4E01-B78A-52C4CA4D20E9.jpeg
    464.7 KB · Views: 6
How old is she and does she lay eggs normally? It could be that she is dehydrated or suffering from a reproductive problem. I would offer her plenty of fluids, some electrolytes and vitamins, a wet chicken feed with a bit of cooked egg might help. I would place her in a wire dog crate or pen with her food and water. That way you can monitor her droppings, what she has eaten, and if she lays. I would make sure that she has no lice or mite under her belly. Look for any swelling or fluid retention in her lower belly, and at her breast muscle for weight loss.

She’s 7 months now and started laying at 18.5 weeks. Everyday almost and getting to a great size. We put her in her section of the coop enclosed so we can monitor her droppings and with her own water and food. She didn’t drink or eat anything. So we gave her syringe of electrolytes not sure if too much or too little. And she seems to be breathing from her behind almost like she has to poop but doesnt and her crest has gotten more red mosh purple ish and heavy as it drops way more to the side now. Good idea on soft food I’ll add that to her dish and hope that maybe she will pick at it a bit. Thank you. Any other advice will be welcome, it’s our first sick bird and by far my sweetest one. 😢

Not quite sure what it is.. but I'll see if I can help in any way. :)

Does she appear to be off balance in any way? Did something give her a bad spook? Did she get injured in any way? Has it been very hot lately?
I'd place her in the sun, and see how she does. She could be egg bound... Maybe try giving (in a swring) some sugar and water mixed together (with maybe some good ACV for immune) to give her some energy. Either way, for now, my best suggesting is place her out in the sun. If overheated, put in a cool bath. Make certain that her feet can touch the bottom, and gently get some of the cold water on the bare spots under her wings.

I don't know if any of this helps, but I hope that it does. :)
Thank you we did do the Syringe and I put her outside when The sun was out. Nothing seems to have changed though but we will keep trying thank you for your advice its appreciate.

She’s 7 months now and started laying at 18.5 weeks. Everyday almost and getting to a great size. We put her in her section of the coop enclosed so we can monitor her droppings and with her own water and food. She didn’t drink or eat anything. So we gave her syringe of electrolytes not sure if too much or too little. And she seems to be breathing from her behind almost like she has to poop but doesnt and her crest has gotten more red mosh purple ish and heavy as it drops way more to the side now. Good idea on soft food I’ll add that to her dish and hope that maybe she will pick at it a bit. Thank you. Any other advice will be welcome, it’s our first sick bird and by far my sweetest one. 😢
I meant comb heavy and purpleish not crest oops

Back
Top Bottom