Chicken sick/ illnese/ Chicken dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by greenbroke1, Dec 31, 2012.

1. greenbroke1

greenbroke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    My black sex-linked chicken, just past away yesterday. Not even one years of age. A couple of days before she past away; she started acting strange. She would lay down on the cold sand. I call out her name, she would get up and walk around for a couple of minutes, and then go back laying down in the same position and same spot. We did this a couple times. The next morning let the chickens out of their coop. She did the very same thing. Called out her name, she got up and walked around. I went inside my house for an hour and a half. Looking from the window of my house. I see that she is in the same spot again. I called out her name. No sound or movement. I go into the run, her eyes are closed. I called her name again. nothing. This time I nudge her. nothing happen. I lay my hand on her for a minute she was still some what warm, but there is no breathing. I was wondering if anyone had encounter this sort of thing before or have at least an idea of what is could have been? I would like to at least get an idea so if this sort of thing does ever happen again. That I will be better prepared or at least be able to some way help out my chickens.

2. Luvmykiddos

Luvmykiddos Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    I don't have any experience with what you've described, but I wanted to tell you I'm sorry you lost your hen! [​IMG]

If I had seen that in one of my gal's, I would have tried to give her Nutri-Drench to give her quick assimilation of nutrients trying to provoke an immune response in her body. It may or may not have helped whatever was ailing your hen, but I would have at least tried that to see if it would have helped. Do you have anything like that on hand?

I'd keep a close eye on your remaining flock to make sure they don't start showing the same kind of symptoms, but in the meantime, I'd give them all a boost of nutrients, just in case.

Again, I'm so sorry you lost your little gal! [​IMG] Hope someone else here can give you better answers!

3. greenbroke1

greenbroke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Thanks, I really appreciate it. No I don't have Nutri-Drench. I will pick some up and keep an eye on the rest of my flock. Thank you for your opinion.

4. Luvmykiddos

Luvmykiddos Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help and I know if someone else here had any idea, they certainly would have helped put you in the right direction!

I did want to add that as I was reading some information today on egg bound chickens, I started to notice some similarities of what you described. Perhaps you could look into that a bit more and see if that could have been what was ailing your gal.

Hope that helps!

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    She could have ate something bad?
    Most times we will never know why a chicken died. It sounded like she had no energy left.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by