Chicken sick/ illnese/ Chicken dead

greenbroke1

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 22, 2012
My black sex-linked chicken, just past away yesterday. Not even one years of age. A couple of days before she past away; she started acting strange. She would lay down on the cold sand. I call out her name, she would get up and walk around for a couple of minutes, and then go back laying down in the same position and same spot. We did this a couple times. The next morning let the chickens out of their coop. She did the very same thing. Called out her name, she got up and walked around. I went inside my house for an hour and a half. Looking from the window of my house. I see that she is in the same spot again. I called out her name. No sound or movement. I go into the run, her eyes are closed. I called her name again. nothing. This time I nudge her. nothing happen. I lay my hand on her for a minute she was still some what warm, but there is no breathing. I was wondering if anyone had encounter this sort of thing before or have at least an idea of what is could have been? I would like to at least get an idea so if this sort of thing does ever happen again. That I will be better prepared or at least be able to some way help out my chickens.

I don't have any experience with what you've described, but I wanted to tell you I'm sorry you lost your hen!
sad.png

If I had seen that in one of my gal's, I would have tried to give her Nutri-Drench to give her quick assimilation of nutrients trying to provoke an immune response in her body. It may or may not have helped whatever was ailing your hen, but I would have at least tried that to see if it would have helped. Do you have anything like that on hand?

I'd keep a close eye on your remaining flock to make sure they don't start showing the same kind of symptoms, but in the meantime, I'd give them all a boost of nutrients, just in case.

Again, I'm so sorry you lost your little gal!
hugs.gif
Hope someone else here can give you better answers!

Thanks, I really appreciate it. No I don't have Nutri-Drench. I will pick some up and keep an eye on the rest of my flock. Thank you for your opinion.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help and I know if someone else here had any idea, they certainly would have helped put you in the right direction!

I did want to add that as I was reading some information today on egg bound chickens, I started to notice some similarities of what you described. Perhaps you could look into that a bit more and see if that could have been what was ailing your gal.

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom