Chicken sick! Need help ASAP!

Oct 12, 2017
Indiana
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
She is a year old ISA Brown. I don't think so.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
I was letting them out, and they ALWAYS sprint to the morning feed. She stayed inside, and is making hissing\gurgly noises and breathing with mouth open.
20180420_100149.jpg

Greetings Allie Grace Sanders,

You need to check the hen's crop, give it a squeeze.

It may feel squishy, with gaseous sounds, and it may also have a foul odor. Her crop should be empty in the morning. Poops may also be watery, or loose.

If these symptoms are present, she most likely has sour crop. The contents of her crop were either compacted for so long that they started to ferment, or she has a slow moving crop for some reason, which will also result in a souring of the contents.

This condition can result in death of the hen, if not attended to.

Massage the crop, to move the contents down into the digestive system.

Medicines can be administered to help her clear the contents and kill the yeast, which are causing her crop to be gaseous from fermenting grain.
  • Nystatin is my choice, along with Lactulose to get things moving, but the Nystatin must be prescribed by a vet, here in California.

• Some keepers have had success with over the counter anti fungal medications like Monistat (Miconazole Nitrate)

• Copper Sulfate is another remedy used by keepers. It is sold at farm/feed stores, I have never used it myself. It cannot be used in metal containers, and dosage must be accurate, as it can be toxic to chickens, if not used properly.

• Here is my recipe for Crop Tonic, a holistic remedy.
    Crop Tonic:
    1 tsp. thick yogurt with at least 3 bacteria cultures in it.
    1 drop, Oregano Oil, or 3 drops VetRx oil
    4 drops Coconut Oil, melted or Olive Oil or Grapeseed Oil
    4 drops water

Mix in a shot glass, stir well, and administer 1 mL, orally with syringe. Then, massage the crop.
There are many remedies online that may or may not be effective. But, the main thing is to get the contents moving down the digestive system.

You should keep massaging the crop to get the contents to go down. Do not feed her till the contents have cleared the crop and she poops. It may take a day, then tiny soft meals, and small amounts of wet mash, with fresh water available. Electrolytes in the water, and a dose of vitamins is also helpful. A course of Probiotics is also good.

If it doesn't turn out to be a crop issue, at least you'll have some information for the future, if you need it.

Other members will give advice, please consider them too.

God Bless :)

I went out to give her a second dose, and she is getting worse by the minute. She has not poops yet, she laid a egg yolk and white, she did drink some water. She started puking up all of her water. I decided to flip her over and squeeze her crop to help her. She puked about a half of a cup. Now she is laying down and shutting her eyes. Her crop is also HUGE and like a balloon. Is she dying!?

Back
Top Bottom