Chicken sitting on nest and sleeping all day fro 3 months

ressivaidyl

Hatching
Jan 25, 2021
My chicken has been sitting on her nest for three months. I've recently locked her out of the hen house to try and get her outside. When I went to chekc on her, she had been sleeping all day while that other chickens were doing their own thing.

Her legs are getting very skinny and shes missing some feathers on her sides.

any ideas on whats going on?

Can you give a little info on her? How old is she? When was the last time she laid an egg? Does she have any other symptoms?

Can you give a little info on her? How old is she? When was the last time she laid an egg? Does she have any other symptoms?
X2

I'm wondering if she's just broody. Broody hens often pluck their bellies to regulate the egg temps and they lose weight from spending all their time setting. Some are so driven to set that they will stay on the nest for months if they don't hatch any eggs.

X2

I'm wondering if she's just broody. Broody hens often pluck their bellies to regulate the egg temps and they lose weight from spending all their time setting. Some are so driven to set that they will stay on the nest for months if they don't hatch any eggs.
That's what I am thinking. Could the OP share some pictures of the chicken? @ressivaidyl, you might have to research how to break a broody. BYC has some great threads on this topic. Good luck and I hope she gets well soon! 🤞

She’s a year old, has been laying and a happy hen until recently. Unsure if she is laying at the moment. I don’t live where they’re living at the moment. No other symptoms. Her comb does fluctuate in colour though

Sh
X2

Should I get her some fertile eggs or is it too late?

That's what I am thinking. Could the OP share some pictures of the chicken? @ressivaidyl, you might have to research how to break a broody. BYC has some great threads on this topic. Good luck and I hope she gets well soon! 🤞
That’s after I gave her a bath

Attachments

• C89B0AFA-0841-4175-BCEE-3C6A1457E479.jpeg
    C89B0AFA-0841-4175-BCEE-3C6A1457E479.jpeg
    438 KB · Views: 8
  • CB366DF5-4E83-4B64-8642-312B9006EB17.jpeg
    CB366DF5-4E83-4B64-8642-312B9006EB17.jpeg
    526.9 KB · Views: 9
I
Three months broody is too long! You're going to have to break her or she could die. Sounds like she is losing weight and condition. What general area are you in, and what is the weather like where you are?
I’m in Australia, it’s been 40 degrees celcius here regular I’m scared she’s going to over heat

Back
Top Bottom