Chicken swing!

Barnycat

Chirping
Mar 18, 2019
I convinced my husband to build a chicken swing for my ladies. Where we live now they cannot free roam, so I’ve tried to come up with everything I can to occupy their time. I placed one hen on the swing upon completion, but she jumped down and I’ve seen no activity since. Any suggestions? The swing is cute, but maybe I wasted my time? Or rather my husbands time?

Attachments

• 86F9C6C3-EF23-4FD0-AB3E-8C222F1F4959.jpeg
    86F9C6C3-EF23-4FD0-AB3E-8C222F1F4959.jpeg
    863.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 9782C2F0-194E-41F2-9629-9A657B9838B6.jpeg
    9782C2F0-194E-41F2-9629-9A657B9838B6.jpeg
    959.8 KB · Views: 99
Realistically most won't use it. My chicks will jump on sometimes but they only stay for about a minute, and they'll likely stop using it once they get older.

Some alternatives for stuff to throw in would be old wood ladders, sawhorses, patio furniture, pots, pallets leaned against a wall.

My husband built the girls a swing. It's been in there for a week. They don't go near it.

Their run has a low box filled with dirt that they use for dust bathing and a few perches. They're peachy keen with that when they're not able to roam about. Some people put logs in there.

My swing is more of a roosting bar that moves. The heavy 4x4 is strung up between two off set ropes. It takes all the yaw out and mutes the swing to a short hammock like sway. They use it daily. They didn't like it at first so I got the box of raisins out. Who ever got on the swing got a raisin. I put raisins on top of the 4x4. Oats , apple pieces... They got over their fear quick. My girls would bust up in a KFC for raisins.
vvv.jpg

I convinced my husband to build a chicken swing for my ladies. Where we live now they cannot free roam, so I’ve tried to come up with everything I can to occupy their time. I placed one hen on the swing upon completion, but she jumped down and I’ve seen no activity since. Any suggestions? The swing is cute, but maybe I wasted my time? Or rather my husbands time?

I actually came here to ask the same question! Since my boys are virtual learning now, I added shop class to the curriculum. We built a 3 seater for the ladies and no one wants anything to do with it.

I have debated if it was the swing height or maybe trying to teach old hens new tricks!

Attachments

• IMG-4529.jpg
    IMG-4529.jpg
    500 KB · Views: 37
Since my boys are virtual learning now, I added shop class to the curriculum.
I love this!!

We built a 3 seater for the ladies and no one wants anything to do with it.

I have debated if it was the swing height or maybe trying to teach old hens new tricks!
I'd say it's the size of the 'seat'....and swings are just very unstable, chickens don't care much for too much movement.
Read @David61 's post just above yours.

I actually came here to ask the same question! Since my boys are virtual learning now, I added shop class to the curriculum. We built a 3 seater for the ladies and no one wants anything to do with it.

If none of the chickens take to it...maybe the boys can modify it so the top board (that the rope goes thru) is wide side down, so it could be a perch. Maybe even a perch/swing combo.

Back
Top Bottom