Chicken symptoms, could this be newcastle's??

kateaton

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 18, 2013
I have 4 chickens that are a little over two years old. Three weeks ago the head of the flock had a completely swollen eye and side of her face (it was swollen shut). I put some neosporin in it for a couple days and it looked totally normal. Another chicken a few days later, presented with same symptoms and we treated her the same. Her eye is better but not completely normal. At the same time, my new chickens (3 months old) started pooping blood. They are in the same coop but were seperated at that time. After research I learned it was cocci and treated with corid immediately. All six of the younger ones pulled through. We treated the older chickens also, but they showed no symptoms. I gave vitamins/electrolytes and probiotics for six days following the corid.

Meanwhile, I've noticed that the second chicken with the eye issue has been laying some eggs that were paper thin (they would break when you picked them up). We added calcium shell to the feed. One of the adults was laying well and the other two haven't layed in 5 months? No clue why, they are not molting. Then today that second chicken squirted out a completely liquid egg, on my porch with a small bit of white membrane in it. I'm very concerned and have no clue what to do at this point. All the chickens seem to be acting normal, eating and roaming, (they free range most of the afternoon). I also have no idea if all these symptoms and issues are connected, but I thought I'd mention them all to give the whole story. I would love and appreciated any advice. thanks.

Update: after doing some internet research, I'm wondering if this may be newcastle's disease. A couple other things I forgot to mention... my daughter (who plays with the chickens and carries them around everyday) had a strange conjuctivitis like issue a few weeks ago. She had red bumps in the corner of her eyes lids and they were slightly itchy. This went away on it's own. My older chickens just this week have been having watery diarrhea. Initially, I thought it was from them drinking so much water since it's been so hot here all week. But I don't really know. help!

Last edited:
Newcastle can resemble infectious bronchitis.symptoms would include wheezing gasping coughing nervous disorders droopy wings dragging leg twisted neck rough deformed egg shells nasal discharge and cloudy eye. These symptoms came out of my book on poultry diseases diagonis and treatment. I think your birds did have some separate issues going on but I doubt it was Newcastle according to the symptoms of Newcastle. That's just my opinion.if your concerned you can keep a very close eye on them and see if they develop more symptoms. If it was Newcastle the symptoms would not just go away. Did you notice any wheezing or coughing or mucus discharge from the nostrils? Just keep a close eye on them. You know what to look for and if anything changes keep us posted. hope this helps and I wish you the best.

Newcastle can resemble infectious bronchitis.symptoms would include wheezing gasping coughing nervous disorders droopy wings dragging leg twisted neck rough deformed egg shells nasal discharge and cloudy eye. These symptoms came out of my book on poultry diseases diagonis and treatment. I think your birds did have some separate issues going on but I doubt it was Newcastle according to the symptoms of Newcastle. That's just my opinion.if your concerned you can keep a very close eye on them and see if they develop more symptoms. If it was Newcastle the symptoms would not just go away. Did you notice any wheezing or coughing or mucus discharge from the nostrils? Just keep a close eye on them. You know what to look for and if anything changes keep us posted. hope this helps and I wish you the best.
thanks for your response. I did read that it can present with respiratory symptoms, but that it doesn't always effect that system. It can effect the digestive or nervous systems also. Of course, this is my understanding of what I read. My birds do not have any respiratory symptoms. The red flag for me was the swollen eye/side of face on both chickens, and my daughter having mild conjuctivitis symptoms around the same time. I read that chicken farmers and researchers that handle dead birds have reported the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom