Chicken tilting over, jerking neck

mindymindosa

Hatching
Feb 7, 2024
So this morning i let my chickens out of their coop like usual and i noticed my miniature rooster jerking his neck very weirdly and tilting over when he stretches, sings, or flys. He tilts over to his side. He still eats and drinks water except I noticed he struggles to drink water because he falls over. He’s still walking and flying but he’s just weak.

What breed is he and how old?

What is he fed?

Is he able to walk normally at all?

It could be a vitamin deficiency or wry neck among a few other things.

You could get a start on it if it's a deficiency or wry neck by getting some Vit E. 400 i.u. and a B-complex vitamin. The Vit E you'll pop in his mouth whole, then give him some scrambled eggs for the selenium the E needs. The B-complex, for him 1/4 of one pill. What I'm referencing here are human pills they can have. If nothing else is figured out to be wrong with him, then continue this for at least two weeks.

What breed is he and how old?

What is he fed?

Is he able to walk normally at all?

It could be a vitamin deficiency or wry neck among a few other things.

You could get a start on it if it's a deficiency or wry neck by getting some Vit E. 400 i.u. and a B-complex vitamin. The Vit E you'll pop in his mouth whole, then give him some scrambled eggs for the selenium the E needs. The B-complex, for him 1/4 of one pill. What I'm referencing here are human pills they can have. If nothing else is figured out to be wrong with him, then continue this for at least two weeks.
I am not sure exactly what his breed is but he is a miniature chicken and that is his full size. He is 6 months old. His diet consists of, rice and bread, usually just scraps I find around in the kitchen. I’ve been giving him crumble layer chicken feed for a couple days now though. I am currently giving him DE powder in his chicken feed to hopefully try and get his vitamins back up. He walks normally and even runs chasing the hens around to mate them and he jumps and flies normal, I just notice that when he moves, he kind of struggles and tilts over to one side. But he keeps jerking his neck like that every 5 minutes or so. Also thank you so much for the information, I will start looking for the pills now. Nothing else seems to be wrong with him, he still sings and everything, he’s just a bit weak.

I am not sure exactly what his breed is but he is a miniature chicken and that is his full size. He is 6 months old. His diet consists of, rice and bread, usually just scraps I find around in the kitchen. I’ve been giving him crumble layer chicken feed for a couple days now though. I am currently giving him DE powder in his chicken feed to hopefully try and get his vitamins back up. He walks normally and even runs chasing the hens around to mate them and he jumps and flies normal, I just notice that when he moves, he kind of struggles and tilts over to one side. But he keeps jerking his neck like that every 5 minutes or so. Also thank you so much for the information, I will start looking for the pills now. Nothing else seems to be wrong with him, he still sings and everything, he’s just a bit weak.
There isn't much nutrition in rice and bread. That could be the problem. I'd keep him on just that chicken feed for now. The DE isn't vitamins unless that's some product I don't know about as that's the stuff I use in my coop and parrot cages to keep bugs out. If that's what it is, get him some Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell to put in his water every other day and I'd still do the suggestion with the Vit. E, scrambled eggs, and B-Complex. After a few days you should start seeing him improve.

There isn't much nutrition in rice and bread. That could be the problem. I'd keep him on just that chicken feed for now. The DE isn't vitamins unless that's some product I don't know about as that's the stuff I use in my coop and parrot cages to keep bugs out. If that's what it is, get him some Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell to put in his water every other day and I'd still do the suggestion with the Vit. E, scrambled eggs, and B-Complex. After a few days you should start seeing him improve.
Yes the DE i have is the food grade one. I will show you a picture of it. Does this provide vitamins or just calcium? And thank you, I will do that.

Attachments

• IMG_8041.jpeg
    IMG_8041.jpeg
    345 KB · Views: 1
Yes the DE i have is the food grade one. I will show you a picture of it. Does this provide vitamins or just calcium? And thank you, I will do that.
That's for keeping mites out of the coop. No vitamins really. It does have some calcium but a rooster doesn't need any more calcium than what's in their feed. Hens I'd give them crushed egg shells or oyster shell you can buy in the feed stores.

Back
Top Bottom