Chicken Tractor 6 Hens- Help!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nannanc, Feb 14, 2017.

1. nannanc

nannanc Just Hatched

Feb 5, 2017
    Mid MO
    I have an ordinance that only allows 6 hens. I'm really set on a tractor since I won't be able to free range at all. However, I am struggling finding one large enough to accommodate 6 that also has detailed instructions for building since my husband and I are new to diy building. We are in MO so we have hot summers and cold winters. We also have raccoons, possums, foxes, and hawks.
    Any ideas or guidance?? I bought my chicks thinking I had a plan, but it is too small. I'm worried I'm going to have to give them away if I can't figure something out soon. Thank you!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Can you build an appropriate size coop and an enclosed run. If you are not equipped to build stuff then you are at a disadvantage. Check some threads of other peep's coops and try to get ideas from viewing and reading. here is a link to one with very many postings. Scan it and see what may work for you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/596294/post-your-chicken-coop-pictures-here
    WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]
    There are pictures of coops as well as tractors.

1 person likes this.
  3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Build one of these but neater if you want. You can add painted plywood with a few screws to the sides for winter. I been using several of these for several years. Moves easy. I just staple feed sacks on the sides for winter because its not seen by anyone and tear them off for the summer. Just the way it is built I feel will make it simple. It has nesting boxes on the end you can not see----can not find a pic of those----still looking.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    This one has a little different top, but you can see the side of the nesting box, no pvc skids on this one. These are 4ft x 8ft x 3ft tall on the sides.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by