Chicken Tractor 6 Hens- Help!

nannanc

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2017
Mid MO
I have an ordinance that only allows 6 hens. I'm really set on a tractor since I won't be able to free range at all. However, I am struggling finding one large enough to accommodate 6 that also has detailed instructions for building since my husband and I are new to diy building. We are in MO so we have hot summers and cold winters. We also have raccoons, possums, foxes, and hawks.
Any ideas or guidance?? I bought my chicks thinking I had a plan, but it is too small. I'm worried I'm going to have to give them away if I can't figure something out soon. Thank you!

Can you build an appropriate size coop and an enclosed run. If you are not equipped to build stuff then you are at a disadvantage. Check some threads of other peep's coops and try to get ideas from viewing and reading. here is a link to one with very many postings. Scan it and see what may work for you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/596294/post-your-chicken-coop-pictures-here
WISHING YOU BEST and
welcome-byc.gif

There are pictures of coops as well as tractors.

I have an ordinance that only allows 6 hens. I'm really set on a tractor since I won't be able to free range at all. However, I am struggling finding one large enough to accommodate 6 that also has detailed instructions for building since my husband and I are new to diy building. We are in MO so we have hot summers and cold winters. We also have raccoons, possums, foxes, and hawks.
Any ideas or guidance?? I bought my chicks thinking I had a plan, but it is too small. I'm worried I'm going to have to give them away if I can't figure something out soon. Thank you!

Build one of these but neater if you want. You can add painted plywood with a few screws to the sides for winter. I been using several of these for several years. Moves easy. I just staple feed sacks on the sides for winter because its not seen by anyone and tear them off for the summer. Just the way it is built I feel will make it simple. It has nesting boxes on the end you can not see----can not find a pic of those----still looking.

Last edited:
This one has a little different top, but you can see the side of the nesting box, no pvc skids on this one. These are 4ft x 8ft x 3ft tall on the sides.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom