Chicken/Turkey wormer help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Egg 17, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    O I didn't know that one was for cattle to I am going to look at my farm store here and see what they have

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Your farm store won't have anything other for "poultry" other than Wazine and Rooster Booster. Wazine only treats roundworms, and Rooster Booster doesn't treat tapeworms.

Tell me what worms you want to treat and I'll offer you some suggestions.

-Kathy

3. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I just want something for like multi worms

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    If it is tapeworm, that is hard to get rid of in poultry, and there is nothing approved for poultry in the USA for treatment. However, if the turkey is a pet, and you won't be slaughtering or selling meat commercially (which I get the distinct feel you aren't), then you can self treat.

I agree with casportpony, first be sure what you are dealing with. Almost all of the wormers attainable for poultry will not address tape worms.

This article is helpful in figuring out if you have tape worms:
    http://forum.thepoultrysite.com/discussion/26652/redirect/p1

This one is a lighter read and shows the tape worm segments in the stool (which you should be seeing if it is tape worm):
    https://poultrykeeper.com/digestive-system-problems/tape-worms-or-cestodes/

Merck's manual has some suggestions for meds dealing with tape worm, but you must get the whole worm in order to be effective.
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/helminthiasis/overview_of_helminthiasis_in_poultry.html

"Poultry producers wanting to treat for tapeworms should be aware that expulsion of the parasite will be a short-term remedy if the scolex is not removed or if the intermediate host is not eliminated as a source of reinfection. Butynorate in combination with piperazine and phenothiazine as a feed additive or individual tablets has shown some efficacy. Other promising experimental drugs include chlorophene and niclosamide. None is approved in the USA."

You may wish to attempt Flubenvet at higher dosage, which Casportpony should be able to indicate for you...IF indeed you have tape worm.

LofMc

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I don't think Flubenvet treats tapes, plus it's hard to find in the US.

-Kathy

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you want to treat tapes, you need something with praziquantel in it. The other worms are easy... Valbazen or Safeguard. Valbazen is probably the better choice since a one day treatment is very effective. Safeguard needs to be given for five days to get capillary worms. If you want to treat all worms, buy a bottle of Valbazen and some EquiMAX horse paste. The EquiMAX paste has praziquantel and ivermectin.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Quote: -Kathy

8. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA

Thank you all I will look here tommarrow morning to see if she poos anything here before I decide on one specific worm and take a pic of it and see what u ink it is I have dealt with worms before but I never seen any in chickens I will not be slaughtering her as she is a pet as well as the chickens I dont eat eggs or really meat so I will get back to u both here tomarrow but for now I am going to take a look and some of these wormer a and I may have questions so don't go to far

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon

Not much does treat tapes unfortunately....

So we are back to general worming....for the OP....take your pick. Wazine (piperazine) only treats round worms, but does a good job of it.

Fenbendazole (Safeguard or Panacur) does a good overall job as does Hygromycin B as a feed additive.

LofMc

EDITED TO ADD: and Casportpony's suggestion of Valbazen is good. Other than the Hygromycin B, all are off label use, but since she is a pet, that won't matter. Chances are she doesn't have tape worm as they are rarer...but possible.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by