Chicken Vomiting Water

AlaskanSalmon

Hatching
Dec 16, 2016
I've got a weird one for you all today. I've already figured it out, I'm just leaving an account here so that if somebody experiences something similar in the future they will be able to find a probable cause during their internet searching.

This bird initially presented with minor diarrhea - kind of dribbly - that was building up on the feathers below her vent. I brought her in to give her a bath, dried her off, and then put her up on the closet door so I could keep an eye on her and so she could completely dry (a big deal when it's -20F outside). About 10 minutes later she jumped off the closet door onto the floor (about 7 feet below) - and here's where it gets really weird!

She walked a few feet and then started puking up crystal clear water. No joke! This went on for about a minute, after which she drowned. Below is a picture of the bird plus water. That's a helluva lot of water to come out of a buff orpington!

I did the necropsy myself, and the results are rather unsurprising in retrospect. The bird had egg yolk periontitis, which had caused an internal infection. The infection resulted in fluid buildup in the abdominal cavity. When she hit the floor the pressure combined with the shock ruptured her upper digestive tract (above the intestines) and the water was forced out of her by the pressure of the abdominal walls on the fluid.

A very curious case, but now that I know what caused the problem I am grateful she drowned. Much faster than death by internal infection.

I'm sorry for your loss. That is a good reason to keep lower roosts. Seven feet high on a door to roost is way too high. I can imagine most chickens might take flight, especially in a strange place such as your house. Thanks for posting such an unfortunate but educational account.

I've got a weird one for you all today. I've already figured it out, I'm just leaving an account here so that if somebody experiences something similar in the future they will be able to find a probable cause during their internet searching.

This bird initially presented with minor diarrhea - kind of dribbly - that was building up on the feathers below her vent. I brought her in to give her a bath, dried her off, and then put her up on the closet door so I could keep an eye on her and so she could completely dry (a big deal when it's -20F outside). About 10 minutes later she jumped off the closet door onto the floor (about 7 feet below) - and here's where it gets really weird!

She walked a few feet and then started puking up crystal clear water. No joke! This went on for about a minute, after which she drowned. Below is a picture of the bird plus water. That's a helluva lot of water to come out of a buff orpington!

I did the necropsy myself, and the results are rather unsurprising in retrospect. The bird had egg yolk periontitis, which had caused an internal infection. The infection resulted in fluid buildup in the abdominal cavity. When she hit the floor the pressure combined with the shock ruptured her upper digestive tract (above the intestines) and the water was forced out of her by the pressure of the abdominal walls on the fluid.

A very curious case, but now that I know what caused the problem I am grateful she drowned. Much faster than death by internal infection.
I came here coz one of my rooster just started vomiting clear fluid. It's not much. Maybe a tablespoon or less. Only one of my 2 roosters do it. They both just add in to the flock and came from an 8 hour plane travel. M guessing it could just be feeling sick since it looked like heaving runny nose. But the other one is completely fine.

I came here coz one of my rooster just started vomiting clear fluid. It's not much. Maybe a tablespoon or less. Only one of my 2 roosters do it. They both just add in to the flock and came from an 8 hour plane travel. M guessing it could just be feeling sick since it looked like heaving runny nose. But the other one is completely fine.
Sometimes they drink too much and it comes back up, especially if you pick them up and 'squish' the crop.
Might be good to start a new thread if your concerns continue.

Can you post some photos?
Where did the roosters come from?
I would check to make sure the crops are empty after a night of sleeping.
It's usually best to crate or cage birds in a separate area (quarantine) so you can observe them for a few weeks to monitor their health.

Okay, I have a hen that’s been having water come out after she drinks, she’s laying, eating, doesn’t act like she sick at all. I thought maybe a bacterial infection, so I put her on antibiotics for 10 days, no sign of her doing it, now she’s been off antibiotics for 5 days, and I noticed she started it again this morning, I’m worried she won’t get enough water in her. She doesn’t act sick at all. I’m wondering if I should try the antibiotics again or just leave her alone. Anyone here that has the same issue. My other hens aren’t doing it, as a matter of fact this is the first hen I’ve seen doing it. She seems healthy.

Her crop is good, it does empty every night, poop seems to be normal. I have notice she doesn’t do it every time right now, before antibiotics she was. And before her comb was pale, now it’s nice and red.

Her crop is good, it does empty every night, poop seems to be normal. I have notice she doesn’t do it every time right now, before antibiotics she was. And before her comb was pale, now it’s nice and red.
Hard to know what was going on.
I'm not one for AB's.
I wouldn't worry about occasional water coming out of mouth,
especially if it's hot and they are drinking more,
and are otherwise doing well.

Back
Top Bottom