Chicken Walking like peguin!!!???

Rooster23

Hatching
11 Years
May 17, 2008
I have a Hen that is walking like a Peguin, I picked her up and felt her belly and it feels awful bloated or big to me. Once in awhile she straighting's out normal. Any ideas of what could be going on here? Is it possable she has a egg stuck? PLEASE HELP...

Her Tail is down, She still eats and drinks water...This has been going on for a few weeks! Anyone?

Yes, sounds like she could have an egg stuck. You may need to lube her with mineral or veg oil and see if you can feel an egg up there. First, though, fill the sink with very warm water and let her relax in it for about 10-15 minutes to loosen up that area.

She could have an egg stuck - see above suggestions, and 'search' on 'eggbound' - however, I have to warn you that what you describe is also the classic presentation of internal laying, where the eggs get directed into the abdominal cavity instead of 'down and out' the usual way. Internal laying is only really correctible with Expensive surgery, and my understanding is that it is almost always fatal sooner or later (I lost a hen this way last fall, a month or two between first symptoms and passing).

Hopefully it is jsut a stuck egg that will resolve itself.

Good luck and fingers crossed,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom