Chicken wire/tarp roof secure?

CountryFried

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
SE AL
I have my pheasant pen framed out and want to put a roof on tomorrow. The netting is a bit out of my reach right now, so I'm wanting to put a wire roof with a tarp over some or all. Is a chicken wire roof, covered by a sturdy tarp, secure enough? My sides are going to be hardware cloth, but I see a lot of recommendations to use HC for the bottom 3' of a pen/coop and then chicken wire above. About the only thing I'm worried about coming from above would be racoons? I don't even know if they can climb it, my HC is 1/4". SO....can I get away with chicken wire on the roof?

It depends what you are trying to be secure against. Chicken wire plus a tarp is more secure than nothing, but not as secure as hardware cloth. Holes in chicken wire can easily be made larger and allow predators access. Welded wire would be cheaper than hardware cloth and stronger than chicken wire.

I have my pheasant pen framed out and want to put a roof on tomorrow. The netting is a bit out of my reach right now, so I'm wanting to put a wire roof with a tarp over some or all. Is a chicken wire roof, covered by a sturdy tarp, secure enough? My sides are going to be hardware cloth, but I see a lot of recommendations to use HC for the bottom 3' of a pen/coop and then chicken wire above. About the only thing I'm worried about coming from above would be racoons? I don't even know if they can climb it, my HC is 1/4". SO....can I get away with chicken wire on the roof?
This is what I use on my duck pens. I've lost 1 duck in 10+ years to a racoon. As long as I keep up on maintaining the pens, they seem to be safe. I do have big dogs, so I think they help keep the 4-legged predators away.

It depends what you are trying to be secure against. Chicken wire plus a tarp is more secure than nothing, but not as secure as hardware cloth. Holes in chicken wire can easily be made larger and allow predators access. Welded wire would be cheaper than hardware cloth and stronger than chicken wire.

I decided to go with 2x4" welded wire fence. Was trying to be cheap with the HC haha. I'm going to attach another pen on the side and I'll just split between the pens with chicken wire.

This is a run not the coop itself right they are locked in a secure coop at night ?

No, it's the whole thing. I think I'm understanding pheasants don't need a coop?

This is what I use on my duck pens. I've lost 1 duck in 10+ years to a racoon. As long as I keep up on maintaining the pens, they seem to be safe. I do have big dogs, so I think they help keep the 4-legged predators away.

Unfortunately we don't have our property fenced so I can't leave my dog out at night. The pen is about 15' from my kid's bed (he's a light sleeper, he's caught two strays trying to get into our duck pen). Since these are his babies, though, I decided not to chance it with chicken wire. I'm probably going to run electric around the bottom, there's a power pole a few feet behind the pen and an outlet on it. I was going to do HC on the ground, but I think electric would make more sense since the power is right there.

FD8EF3F2-FACE-41BD-9370-2AA91A74B494.jpeg
42F47379-70EC-4C5A-A400-2B90E8AEF1F2.jpeg

This is my pen so far. Looks really exciting, eh?

Unfortunately we don't have our property fenced so I can't leave my dog out at night. The pen is about 15' from my kid's bed (he's a light sleeper, he's caught two strays trying to get into our duck pen). Since these are his babies, though, I decided not to chance it with chicken wire. I'm probably going to run electric around the bottom, there's a power pole a few feet behind the pen and an outlet on it. I was going to do HC on the ground, but I think electric would make more sense since the power is right there.

We don't either (except the horse pasture). Just having the dogs running around and peeing on everything (those marking boys are good for something! :D) seems to keep all but the bravest critters away.

We don't either (except the horse pasture). Just having the dogs running around and peeing on everything (those marking boys are good for something! :D) seems to keep all but the bravest critters away.

Ours is just in the past few days finally minding enough to not be in the fence (we do have a small area of chain link, but we have almost six acres haha). I was going to hire a trainer because he wouldn’t respond to his name at all despite months of trying to clicker train. I bought a training collar last week and suddenly we have a new dog. He comes when he’s called, doesn’t jump on us anymore, stays out of the front yard (55mph road). So he will be marking eventually...he still squats to pee, but our 10lb female shihpoo lifts her leg when she goes

Back
Top Bottom