Chicken with big hole on head

3Dchicken

Songster
7 Years
Sep 24, 2012
HELP Hope has a big gash in the top of her head and we can no longer afford to take her to emergency room. there is no skin left and I can see her skull which does not seem to be broken. My family keeps encouraging me she will live, but I am highly doubtful because I think she is just in shock and that is why she is acting normal. My mom is going to get some antibiotics for her, but I was wondering if I could give her some home painkillers aka: acetaminophen (sp) some way 'cause we are dirt poor. I really don't want my Hope to die, but it might happen anyway. I am barely typing right now. My mom said to clean it with ivory soap and water, but I want to know your opinions. Please help.
hit.gif

When I was a new chicken owner I put some young roosters into my already established flock. One of these young roosters was attacked around his head very badly. All his feathers were gone from the top of his head. He was bleeding a lot. I got him (and the other one) out of there. Honestly, I didn't do anything to his wounds. No cleaning, no nothing and you know what? He did fine and I have him to this day. His name is Peckhead!

I agree with your family that Hope will be OK. Being that she is acting normal is a great sign! If she was in pain or on the verge of dying she would be sitting on the ground doing nothing. I wouldn't give her any medicine either. I'm certain she will be fine.

Next time you have a question about injury or illness, post it on the emergencies forum, and you will get more answers. I agree that some chickens will get the worst wounds, and be just fine without any special treatment. I would take a bit of dish detergent and warm water and clean off the wound. If you have any wound ointment like neosporin or polysporin you can put some on the wound. You don't need antibiotics probably, unless he gets an infection. Just give him some scrambled eggs and other goodies to help him heal.

When I was a new chicken owner I put some young roosters into my already established flock. One of these young roosters was attacked around his head very badly. All his feathers were gone from the top of his head. He was bleeding a lot. I got him (and the other one) out of there. Honestly, I didn't do anything to his wounds. No cleaning, no nothing and you know what? He did fine and I have him to this day. His name is Peckhead!

I agree with your family that Hope will be OK. Being that she is acting normal is a great sign! If she was in pain or on the verge of dying she would be sitting on the ground doing nothing. I wouldn't give her any medicine either. I'm certain she will be fine.
Well, her injuries are pretty serious. I can see a part of her skull and her face is swollen. She has dirt in the wounds, too.

I think antibiotics are a good idea if there is dirt in the wounds. As its deep and on her head I would be tempted not to touch it unless it starts to look infected. Maybe spray the area with some antiseptic or something. And seperate her and feed her lots. Keep her warm if possible.

I think you should use the antibiotics even if it just prophalactic. If the wound is dirty I would flush it out with sterile water (perhaps use cooled boiled water). If you can see the skull bone, an infection is just waiting for the opportunity to invade.

Im a nurse and this is what I would definitely be doing.

Sometimes, we need to think about what is best for the animal, and if our efforts are more for our feelings than their quality of life. What I'm saying is, you may need to think about ending her suffering instead of prolonging it. I know it's a hard choice - just had to make that one myself this week. I had a hen that was injured by a predator. Both her eyes were gunked shut, and she had a puncture wound above her eye, and the area behind her beak was badly injured. We decided that the kindest thing would be to put her down. Good luck. If you decide to continue treating her, I hope all goes well for you.

Sorry about not coming on and updating about my chicken, but she is fine!!! She is all healed up and all I did was put some salt water on her head three times a day, as well as the original polysporin (the kind without pain killers- not good for chickens, I've read) afterwards. It took about a month to heal up completely, and she is out in the coop for the second night in a row.

Stages of her healing:

Second day^^^

Didn't get a picture of her lately, and this last one was taken about a week ago. She still has that lump of skin on her head with feathers sticking out of it. I sometimes joke and say "It was just reconstructive surgery." XD She is still fine. It was weird though- she rarely looked as though she was in pain. That might have been because chickens don't like to show pain or weakness around other chickens so they don't get picked on. She was hiding under the coop when I found her. Very happy that I still have my Hope with me. <3
love.gif

I think you should use the antibiotics even if it just prophalactic. If the wound is dirty I would flush it out with sterile water (perhaps use cooled boiled water). If you can see the skull bone, an infection is just waiting for the opportunity to invade.

Im a nurse and this is what I would definitely be doing.
thumbsup.gif
I used salt water to clean it, and "put on the poly."

Back
Top Bottom