chicken with broken beak wont eat or drink

ive done that and the eggs as well and im gonna stop thw hysrogen peroxide. he ate a little cheese and egg and some moist food but he still refuses to drink. ive have him a little water through a syring about 8 mm or so. should i see a vet. there is an emergency vet clinic not to far from me that sees farm animals
If he has only been like this for a day I wouldn't take him to the vet just yet. I would give him another day before you take him to the vet. Like what you said, @AceSierra, may just still be a little shocked to have lost a bit of his beautiful beak. Chickens can go 48 hours without any water, so 15 hours isn't that long. If he drank some water just now he should be good for a while. Keep the water in his cage and try to get him to drink as often as you can. Keep up the good work!!!

If he won't drink, add a good bit of water to his feed and mush it up till like thin oatmeal. It will be easy on his beak and he'll get water in him that way. Poor little fellow. :hit
i put the powdery part of the feed you find at the bottom of the bag abd mixed it with warm water. he ate a couple bites but i think its still too sore for him to eat. gonna go to the vet to get some pain killers or somethinh.

If he has only been like this for a day I wouldn't take him to the vet just yet. I would give him another day before you take him to the vet. Like what you said, @AceSierra, may just still be a little shocked to have lost a bit of his beautiful beak. Chickens can go 48 hours without any water, so 15 hours isn't that long. If he drank some water just now he should be good for a while. Keep the water in his cage and try to get him to drink as often as you can. Keep up the good work!!!
its been almost 20 hours witout drinking anythung substansial and he hasnt been pooping so im gonna head to the vet will keep you informed 👍

I’ve had this happen to a rooster of mine. I put neosporin with painkiller on it. I know you aren’t supposed to use the one with painkiller but it helped him be able to eat and drink. You can place drops of water in his beak with a syringe as well. Wetting his food or giving him something more enticing like scrambled eggs or other soft and delicious food (maybe some bread dipped in water?) might make him want to eat.

I’ve had this happen to a rooster of mine. I put neosporin with painkiller on it. I know you aren’t supposed to use the one with painkiller but it helped him be able to eat and drink. You can place drops of water in his beak with a syringe as well. Wetting his food or giving him something more enticing like scrambled eggs or other soft and delicious food (maybe some bread dipped in water?) might make him want to eat.
i havent tried bread dipped in water yet ill give it a try

How did the trip to the vet go??
the vet said if thw beak had clipped jist a bit shorter than he would have done something to it but he said within a day a big enough scab should have formed where eating and drinking shouldnt hurt. he also perscribed some pain killers. I came home and he finnaly drank some water on his own. Everyone wss so surprised to see a chicken at the vet. Noels just a ladies man.
20201223_173925.jpg

Hes started eating seeds on her own but wont eat anything else. ive tried everything and im at the point when im having to spend hours shoving little dough balls down his throat. hes a lot weaker now and less energetic is there anything i can do to get him to eat. maybe a liquid formula i can try so im not having to pry his beak open.

Back
Top Bottom