Chicken with diarrhea (Pic) and slightly tired

Mouthwash

Chirping
May 20, 2023
Chicago IL
My 8 month old chicken has had runny poo for about a week. I've noticed her do some normal ones as well. After the super cold temps of -35f with windchill i put some water with electrolytes in it for the so I know they've been coming out and drinking more water the last week. I noticed that the wood chips in their coop have been wet for the last 5 days or so and couldn't figure out why but I'm getting it's this poop. She also seems a little slower than usual but if you didn't know what a hog she usually is trying to steal everyone's food you wouldn't know. She still comes out of the run and scratches and eats grass etc. Thoughts what it could be? Theyre on an egg layer crumble from TSC as their main food source.

Attachments

• IMG_5868.jpg
    IMG_5868.jpg
    529.6 KB · Views: 51
Does she lay eggs? The yellowish solids in the poop are probably urates, and they should be white. When they are yellow, there may be a reproductive infection or liver problem. Does she have any signs of an enlarged lower belly under her vent, or does she appear overweight? Is she active and alert? How does her crop feel, and does it empty by early morning?

Does she lay eggs? The yellowish solids in the poop are probably urates, and they should be white. When they are yellow, there may be a reproductive infection or liver problem. Does she have any signs of an enlarged lower belly under her vent, or does she appear overweight? Is she active and alert? How does her crop feel, and does it empty by early morning?

Chirping​

No she's not all but one of my chickens stopped laying a few weeks ago when it started getting really cold. The yellow is honestly the first I saw like that and is more green not in the photo and I think maybe is from eating grass? Maybe not. She seems alert and is picking grass, scratching, eating and drinking but seems slightly slower than usual but if you didn't know her I don't think you'd notice. Her crop was full once about a week ago in the morning but after drinking some water she pooped out some undigested carrot bits a couple hours later so I thought maybe she didn't get enough grit during the cold. Also she's not overweight she's always been the biggest and her vent looks okay and I don't see any enlargments

Do the electrolytes have vitamins in them? That could be the answer to the yellow stools, but green stools are usually due to not eating enough, the food is not being digested, or eating a ton of greens. I would check her crop each morning early before she eats or drinks when it should feel empty and flat. If it isn’t empty, she may have a crop disorder. If she will take some scrambled egg and mushy wet chicken feed. Let us know about her crop tomorrow am, or if there are any changes.

Do the electrolytes have vitamins in them? That could be the answer to the yellow stools, but green stools are usually due to not eating enough, the food is not being digested, or eating a ton of greens. I would check her crop each morning early before she eats or drinks when it should feel empty and flat. If it isn’t empty, she may have a crop disorder. If she will take some scrambled egg and mushy wet chicken feed. Let us know about her crop tomorrow am, or if there are any changes.
Yes they do have vitamins, it's a powder mix. I did notice she seemed to drink a lot of it, favoring it over the regular water from the metal 5 gallon waterer. I will check in the morning. Maybe some yogurt will help as well. She once had sour crop and that helped quite a bit. I will check tomorrow morning on her crop.

If you use electrolytes for more than a couple of days, it may cause diarrhea. I would switch back to plain water and see if the yellow clears. Try to find something that will tempt her to eat. Let us know how she does, and if her crop is empty in the morning.

Then she doesn’t need electrolytes or vitamins. Have you seen more of these runny poops? Sometimes a small amount of cooked rice and buttermilk or plain yogurt given once might firm up the poops.

Then she doesn’t need electrolytes or vitamins. Have you seen more of these runny poops? Sometimes a small amount of cooked rice and buttermilk or plain yogurt given once might firm up the poops.
I took the electrolyte vitamin water out. She did have another. It's so green, I'm certain it's from us letting them out more and she's eating a lot of grass and weed for the color but it's still liquidy. I think there's a couple pebbles in it too?? I'm sure they pass grit sometimes but I've never seen it. I just let them out again and she was pretty active. Running, scratching, eating grass and bugs she found.

Attachments

• IMG_5873.jpg
    IMG_5873.jpg
    762 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom