Chicken with egg shell stuck in vent!!! I NEED HELP NOW!!!!!!!

Um...so I can't pull it out it still feels kinda hard..like crisp almost, and I soaked her bum and it disappeared back inside of her...She is currently in a rabbit cage in our barn with a friend. she seems traumatized.
I just saw this after I replied. I wouldn’t go fishing for it you could cause more damage. Maybe just keep her away from most of the others so they don’t try to peck at it and see what happens?

You could try using methods for egg bound birds. Although putting her inside of an epsom salt bath may stress her further. You mentioned she seems traumatized, so I’d stick to what I know about the bird’s preferences. If anything you can go full spa mode and try relaxing this bird as much as possible. Like an epsom soak, relaxing her will relax the muscles to where things can come out naturally. There’s been times where I’ve given a bird CBD during a high stress environment I can’t control.

Um...so I can't pull it out it still feels kinda hard..like crisp almost, and I soaked her bum and it disappeared back inside of her...She is currently in a rabbit cage in our barn with a friend. she seems traumatized.
That's doesn't sound too good.
I would have just helped pull it out, but since it has now retracted...
Give her some Calcium, see that she's staying hydrated. Hopefully the calcium will cause some contractions to where you will be able to help pull it out.

If she seems traumatized, she may need a bit of heat.
Read this article it will help you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

Do as @Wyorp Rock suggested. Give her a calcium tablet. It will encourage contractions to help her push the egg remains out. Was the yolk intact or broken? This is crucial and makes the difference between needing an antibiotic or not.

When I have a hen with this issue, I do not soak her as it increases stress which works against her in passing the remains. I get a crate and toss several old bath towels in the dryer and warm them real good. Then I place the hen in the crate on the heated towels to relax her. I leave her to rest with food and water and leave her over night to pass the remains.

This is the type of calcium I use since it absorbs most quickly.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

Do as @Wyorp Rock suggested. Give her a calcium tablet. It will encourage contractions to help her push the egg remains out. Was the yolk intact or broken? This is crucial and makes the difference between needing an antibiotic or not.

When I have a hen with this issue, I do not soak her as it increases stress which works against her in passing the remains. I get a crate and toss several old bath towels in the dryer and warm them real good. Then I place the hen in the crate on the heated towels to relax her. I leave her to rest with food and water and leave her over night to pass the remains.

This is the type of calcium I use since it absorbs most quickly. View attachment 3063417
The yolk was broken:hmm I have a random calcium capsule my aunt gave me before she went to bed, idk what brand, and most of all idk how to make her eat it. Shes in our barn in a crate with another hen for a buddy. Its 46 degrees and is supposed to drop to a real feel of 35. Should I bring her in?

She is going to need an antibiotic. If you're in the uS,call Tractor Supply. They usually carry amoxicillin for fish. Yes. It will work just fine on a chicken. 250 mg each day for ten full days. This is because a broken yolk will immediately start growing bacteria, and infection can shorten her life and make her sterile.

ok. Its 10:45pm here. I will get that tomorrow asap. Is it possible to have too high of a dose of calcium for her? I have no clue what kind of calcium or how much is in this pill.

ok. Its 10:45pm here. I will get that tomorrow asap. Is it possible to have too high of a dose of calcium for her? I have no clue what kind of calcium or how much is in this pill.
I moved her into my room. She is laying with her wings flopped to the sides. Shes not looking good. I tried pulling the shell out but it felt very stuck. Then it disappeared after the soak. I feel so bad.

Back
Top Bottom