Chicken with horrible back/neck wound! ;( ;( ;(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StarLover21, Apr 17, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    My chicken Asha was outside squaking in pain this morning. I ran out and she was lying on her side. On her shoulders extending up to her neck, the skin and feathers had just been pulled off in one big chunck. You see the tissues surrounding the bones, the chord the runs down the neck, ect. It looks perfectly AWFUL! We're going to take her to the vet in about 30 minuites, and hopefully they'ou know what to do. Any ideas on anything else we can do? Do you know what it could have made it?

[​IMG]

2. KimKimWilliamso

KimKimWilliamso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Nanton, AB, Canada
    Probably a predator. i would have put her down. That sort of thing is painful, and takes tons of time to heal.

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011

Yes, we think maybe a hawk, because it happened this morning. I couldn't have her put down, she's my baby :(

We took her to the vet and he's going to put her under anesthesia and work on her. He says she should be allright. [​IMG]

4. KimKimWilliamso

KimKimWilliamso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Nanton, AB, Canada
    Good to hear that you found a vet willing to help her out! I hope she pulls through!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by