Gamesgroup

Hatching
Jul 26, 2023
I have a chicken with a severely deformed neck. Issue presented itself about 4 days ago and all I've been able to think and do is isolate, give her asprin and soak her food...she looks to be in severe pain and I don't have any idea what is wrong with her. Would it be a broken neck? She doesn't seem to want to eat or drink, but it looks like she desperately wants to..she's pooped once in the past two days since being isolated and it was basically brown water. Her neck sticks out of her chest and head sits far back. She doesn't want to extend her neck. Has anyone seen anything like this? I dont want to put her down.. Her crop is empty it is definitely her neck that is the issue here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230726-202520_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20230726-202520_Messenger.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_20230726-202538_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20230726-202538_Messenger.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20230726-202646_Instagram~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230726-202646_Instagram~2.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 22
Welcome to BYC!

Poor girl! Looks like wry neck to me.
Get some vitamin E 400IU, 1/3 of a B complex tablet, and eggs for selenium. Give all that daily for probably 2ish weeks.
Try to get some food into her, sounds like she really needs it.

It could be wry neck (torticolis.) It may be a result of a head or neck injury, a vitamin E deficiency, and is sometimes seen in some diseases that affect the brain. I would try feeding her some moistened chicken feed with a little scrambled egg. Hold it up for her or feed her in your lap several times a day. Then add human vitamin E 400 IU daily. B complex may help as well.

Also...can you carefully feel her crop and report back as to if it feels hard or squishy/soft?

Welcome to BYC.
What exactly have you been feeding her?
Originally she was eating her regular feed. Scratch grains, eggs shells, layer pellet with all flock mix. But for right now I've only been able to get her to somewhat eat the chia seeds in the water I give her

Welcome to BYC!

Poor girl! Looks like wry neck to me.
Get some vitamin E 400IU, 1/3 of a B complex tablet, and eggs for selenium. Give all that daily for probably 2ish weeks.
Try to get some food into her, sounds like she really needs it.
Looking into it it could possibly by Wry neck, just baffles me should get this severe in just a short amount of time..im not sure if it was a head injury, but im hopeful for the vitamin deficiency. I'll try that. Thank you!

It could be wry neck (torticolis.) It may be a result of a head or neck injury, a vitamin E deficiency, and is sometimes seen in some diseases that affect the brain. I would try feeding her some moistened chicken feed with a little scrambled egg. Hold it up for her or feed her in your lap several times a day. Then add human vitamin E 400 IU daily. B complex may help as well.
I'll give that a try. Thank you!

Hello Gamesgroup and welcome! Hoping the best for your girl. How old is she?

I noticed in your picture her left eye is mostly closed. Is that regular or just happened to be that way in the picture? How is her balance?

We just went through an experience where symptoms originally presented as a neck issue as well. Please report if she begins curling her head upside down or loses all sense of balance. As Eggcessive said, we started on vitamin E and a third tablet of b complex per day. We used a pestle and mortar on crumble to grind to a fine powder then mixed with vitamin water, feeding with a syringe. Tubing seems the preferred method, but we couldn't get the supplies needed in our area.

Back
Top Bottom