Chicken with loss of balance

Havenwood Farm

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2017
Hi,
Im a new chicken owner. One of my Dominiques has recently started crowing ( thinking it may be a rooster:). On Sunday I noticed it was slightly off balance. It had gotten trapped in our garden enclosure with 3 others till late in the eve the night before and was scared.
It has been vaccinated for mereks. Someone suggested it could be botulism. She still eats and walks around but has balance issues. Ice seem her shake her head as she runs too.
I had noticed some black specks on her lovely rose comb and am wondering if mites are affecting her or an ear infection.
What medicines do you recommend?
I gave her an epson salt mixture once, then some poultry drench yesterday and today and electrolyte water yesterday and today.
She had a mashed egg yolk with a little cod liver oil in it.
On Sunday we gave them some corid water.
Please advise!!! Hoping to go to Tractor Supply for medicine.

Hi,
Im a new chicken owner. One of my Dominiques has recently started crowing ( thinking it may be a rooster:). On Sunday I noticed it was slightly off balance. It had gotten trapped in our garden enclosure with 3 others till late in the eve the night before and was scared.
It has been vaccinated for mereks. Someone suggested it could be botulism. She still eats and walks around but has balance issues. Ice seem her shake her head as she runs too.
I had noticed some black specks on her lovely rose comb and am wondering if mites are affecting her or an ear infection.
What medicines do you recommend?
I gave her an epson salt mixture once, then some poultry drench yesterday and today and electrolyte water yesterday and today.
She had a mashed egg yolk with a little cod liver oil in it.
On Sunday we gave them some corid water.
Please advise!!! Hoping to go to Tractor Supply for medicine.

Hello! My guess would be a head injury (like concussion, sort of) When a chicken gets scared, often they will just run in any direction and can run into things. The black specks could be blood from a bump on the head. If you can see how her poo looks, and it seems normal, then maybe just give it time. I wouldn't try giving him too many different remedies so close together....

Hello! My guess would be a head injury (like concussion, sort of) When a chicken gets scared, often they will just run in any direction and can run into things. The black specks could be blood from a bump on the head. If you can see how her poo looks, and it seems normal, then maybe just give it time. I wouldn't try giving him too many different remedies so close together....
Thank you! We did try to catch them Sat night and she was running away from us. She ran behind a grill. Could have bumped her head. Maybe an ear infection?

Well, I have never heard of a chicken getting an ear infection before. They do have holes for ears, which are concealed by feathers. You could have a look just for the heck of it. If the area looks clean, and sniff it too, and if there's no odor, I think you can rule an ear infection out. (I'm no expert, but I've had a lot of chickens, so this is what I would do.) I hope everything turns out OK for your cockerel (young rooster).

Well, I have never heard of a chicken getting an ear infection before. They do have holes for ears, which are concealed by feathers. You could have a look just for the heck of it. If the area looks clean, and sniff it too, and if there's no odor, I think you can rule an ear infection out. (I'm no expert, but I've had a lot of chickens, so this is what I would do.) I hope everything turns out OK for your cockerel (young rooster).
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom