Chicken with swollen ear lobe.

Contrastphoto

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2011
Sevier County, Tn
Hello,
I have a Swedish Flower Hen about 22 weeks old that is acting normal. I noticed her ear area looked swollen this morning, but wasn't able to get a photo until just now. I have attached the photo of her ear lobe. It is warm to touch. The other side is normal. I am thinking it may be a sinus type of infection, and am thinking I should treat with antibiotics. Also please let me know if you think it might be contagious and should treat everyone.
I am also not sure of what kind/dose to give her... Please help!

Hello, 

I have a Swedish Flower Hen about 22 weeks old that is acting normal. I noticed her ear area looked swollen this morning, but wasn't able to get a photo until just now. I have attached the photo of her ear lobe. It is warm to touch. The other side is normal. I am thinking it may be a sinus type of infection, and am thinking I should treat with antibiotics. Also please let me know if you think it might be contagious and should treat everyone. 
I am also not sure of what kind/dose to give her... Please help!

I would also assume it's some sort of sinus infection brewing. I would separate her and treat her with antibiotics. If it were me I would not treat the entire flock unless it showed up in another bird, then to be safe I'd go ahead and treat them all. What are you treating her with?

Last edited:
I haven't started her on anything yet. The antibiotics I have in the refrigerator expired in Sept. I will have to go tomorrow to the to get something new. Is there a specific dose/ kind I should give her. Thanks for the peroxide wash post too. I will read over that.

I haven't started her on anything yet. The antibiotics I have in the refrigerator expired in Sept. I will have to go tomorrow to the to get something new.  Is there a specific dose/ kind I should give her. Thanks for the peroxide wash post too. I will read over that.

Dosage depends on what you're administering, that's why I asked what antibiotic are you giving?
Here's what I have on file:
From dawg53-TYLAN Most likely you are dealing with a possible respiratory disease. You can use tylan 50 injectable to treat them. Dosage is 1/2cc injected into the breast for 3 consecutive days for adult sized birds, 1/4cc for bantam sized birds.
Make sure you angle the needle so you inject just under the skin, and not deep in the muscle tissue. You will need to use a large needle on your syringe due to the solution thickness of the tylan. (20 to 22 gauge needle works best.)
Make sure you inject in a different spot each day. It's best to alternate breast when injecting.
Tylan can be purchased at most feed stores, over the counter in the cattle section. Dont eat the eggs after treatment for at least 5 days after the last injection.
You can also dose them orally with tylan 50. The dosage is the same as injecting. Dose them orally for 5 days instead of 3 days, it takes longer to absorb into their system when swallowed. Pull their wattles down and their mouth will open, have your preloaded syringe ready to slowly squirt it in the mouth, release the wattles and let the bird swallow the liquid on her own. Once you see improvement, continue treatment to completion, but no longer than the 3 or 5 day treatment period.
Since it's a possible respiratory disease, I wouldnt donate sick birds to be sold at a fair, even after treatment. Birds with respiratory diseases remain carriers and can spread it to other birds. It's best that you maintain a closed flock and practice biosecurity.

I didn't keep who I had gotten this from: The dosage for injectable PENICILLIN is .1 cc (that's point 1cc) per lb of bird.

I'm sure this topic could well be debated, but if you have antibiotics on hand I'd go ahead and start them.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/460159 (paragraph 6)

Okay, do you think she has an respiratory disease or where you just quoting what the other post said?

Sorry about that, I was just quoting what dawg told me referring to my bird. It sounds like your bird has a sinus infection starting.
Check this out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/275285/treating-sinus-infection-in-a-chicken

I think you can only get Baytril from a vet. If you don't have an avian vet try a small or exotic animal vet. This place might carry it: allbirdproducts.com

Thanks for all your help. I am not sure exactly what it was, but she is feeling much better today. I when ahead and got Tylan 50 and started her on that today, just as a preventive. She is one of my favorites. Why is it your favorites alway get sick?

Back
Top Bottom