Chickens and Affection

bragabit

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Southern Utah
My chickens like me. Well they like the treats I bring them. I have never had any of my birds show me affection. I have one gold sex link who squats for me and lets me pet her....so I guess that counts for something.

My broody hens are very protective of their chicks, and they sing the "treat" song when there is food. But I don't know that I have ever seen them offer affection to their own chicks. Am I missing something? I was wondering if they are affectionate to others...if they are what do I watch for?

Some people have chickens that will sit in their lap; I used to have a few. I think this sort of thing is more likely if you spend a lot of time with them. The squat/pet thing is her saying she will allow you to mate her. I have two hens that do this for me, out of about 16; they also run up to me much more readily than the rest, so maybe there is some bonding there, too.

I don't know about affection for their babies. I have seen plenty of protectiveness, offering food, etc., and they will tuck the babies under them most gently at night or when they are cold or wet, but I don't know that this is affection. They will also ignore their babies after around 8 weeks or whenever they think the babies are ready to leave home.

Treats are certainly the way to their heart. You can also do some training with treats if you have the patience, I have read. I give treats daily, partly so I can handle them if needed, partly just to be nice, and partly to supplement their protein (scrambled eggs, usually) as I have doubts about commercial feeds' nutritional value.

I'll be watching this thread to see if others have more thoughts.

Last edited:
They just love the treats, but I have some Ameraucans who love to have their muffs and beards tickled and they go to sleep in my lap.

I think i have seen something close to affection - or at least not related to food, maybe twice.

Once was with a sick chicken who had to stay in my house. She wanted to be near me and would go to the effort to hop on her one foot to get a few inches nearer to me. She would also cry if i left her in a room by herself.

The second was a chick i had who was also in chicken hospital because she had been pecked bloody. After i rescued her and treated her and had her isolated, she would fly out and jump on my chest, next to my face, every time i opened her enclosure. Once she got older, she would only do that when she was broody and someone had stolen her nest. I would carry her to her nest, unseat the invader, and then she would be fine.

Those two occasions seemed like affection. But i can't be sure.

What they do with their chicks seems like straight instinct to me.

As for the rest of them - i'm not fooled; they only love me because i feed them.
lol.png

I have a hen who is 'in love' with her rooster. They sit on the roost as close as possible to one another and she gently grooms his comb. I see them do this every evening.

I have a couple who will come and jump up in my lap and expect their scratching if I am sitting down in the barn.

I do agree, MOST are highly driven by FOOD!

My hens come up and sing me a consolatory song when they see me depressed. They spread their wings and try to cover my bald head when it rains. I don't believe there has been a day they haven't told me they love me since I taught them to talk.
cool.png

Actually, they are just like my quiet wife, I have to look into their eyes to see what they are thinking. Having the same IQ makes it very easy for us to communicate.

Quote:
You taught them to talk?!!! I thought I was clever teaching them to cook!
smile.png

Obviously chickens are fickle... just like us humans. My chickens are about 50-50 when it comes to letting me pet them... Some are willing to jump up into my lap, and a few high tail it away when they see me coming... treats or no treats. If you want unwavering adoration, you will need to buy a dog... and feed it well!

I don't know about affection, but mine sure get EXCITED when they hear my voice. They come running / jumping / flying to see me. EVEN when I am a distance off, they come to the gate and wait for me. They follow me all over the pen. They chat to me the whole time.

They aren't crazy about me petting them, but they do trust me enough to eat out of my hand.

Oh man. Now I feel bad you guys taught your chickens to talk and cook. I just taught mine to play piano. They haven't gotten much past chopsticks. I do have one chicken that MUST sit on my lap at every opportunity. I like to imagine it's affection.

Back
Top Bottom