Chickens and Ducks

ristvin

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 30, 2011
Just wondering if any of you have experience with raising chickens and ducks together... I thought that my chickens were doing a big pecking order thing and then today, I noticed that it might be my two ducks that are pulling out all the chicken feathers... Those that know about these things... Can you tell me if I should keep them separate and build a new enclosure for the ducks?

welcome-byc.gif
to the BYC!!!

Sure they can go together but enough room for each species in their own type environment. Have enough room for the ducks with a little wading pool they can be at and be comfortable and for the chickens have perches and a fun area without having to cross into the duck SPACE. They like to establish whats theirs and what not so if the chickens go over there which they might the ducks will kick butt and thats it. Ducks do need the coop so build a get out of the weather area for both but ducks do not need the coop as much as the chicks do need the coop. You could put a divider and separate the two species by a 5' fence that they will not go over. Separate feed and water for each. Toys that are more duck oriented and stuff that more geared to the chicken.

Last edited:
I was wondering the same thing. Because I have 4 chickens and one duck that I will be placing together when the chickens are a little bit more older. Thank you for the tips and that I don't have to post a thread asking the same thing!

Free range is fine, they have enough room to leave each other in peace. Cooping them up together can be problematic. Plus ducks make a mess, and chickens just don't like water and damp.

I brood them together, but I don't house them together after that. If ducks are pulling feathers, they need separated. It's ok, until it isn't ok anymore. Pulling feathers would make it not ok anymore.

Ducks can get pretty aggressive, but it depends on the group.

Free range is fine, they have enough room to leave each other in peace. Cooping them up together can be problematic. Plus ducks make a mess, and chickens just don't like water and damp.

I brood them together, but I don't house them together after that. If ducks are pulling feathers, they need separated. It's ok, until it isn't ok anymore. Pulling feathers would make it not ok anymore.

Ducks can get pretty aggressive, but it depends on the group.

My duck, Onyx gets afraid of the chickens and runs away. But I haven't put them together yet. My fiance and I are planning on building a run/coop this weekend. But thanks for the information!

Back
Top Bottom