Chickens and Ducks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ristvin, Oct 30, 2011.

1. ristvin

ristvin New Egg

Oct 30, 2011
    Just wondering if any of you have experience with raising chickens and ducks together... I thought that my chickens were doing a big pecking order thing and then today, I noticed that it might be my two ducks that are pulling out all the chicken feathers... Those that know about these things... Can you tell me if I should keep them separate and build a new enclosure for the ducks?

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] to the BYC!!!

Sure they can go together but enough room for each species in their own type environment. Have enough room for the ducks with a little wading pool they can be at and be comfortable and for the chickens have perches and a fun area without having to cross into the duck SPACE. They like to establish whats theirs and what not so if the chickens go over there which they might the ducks will kick butt and thats it. Ducks do need the coop so build a get out of the weather area for both but ducks do not need the coop as much as the chicks do need the coop. You could put a divider and separate the two species by a 5' fence that they will not go over. Separate feed and water for each. Toys that are more duck oriented and stuff that more geared to the chicken.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    My ducks, chickens and geese all free-range together. Never had an issue.

4. waterchicken

waterchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    Quote:Dido. [​IMG]

5. Haruka

Haruka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Chula Vista, CA
    I was wondering the same thing. Because I have 4 chickens and one duck that I will be placing together when the chickens are a little bit more older. Thank you for the tips and that I don't have to post a thread asking the same thing!

6. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Free range is fine, they have enough room to leave each other in peace. Cooping them up together can be problematic. Plus ducks make a mess, and chickens just don't like water and damp.

I brood them together, but I don't house them together after that. If ducks are pulling feathers, they need separated. It's ok, until it isn't ok anymore. Pulling feathers would make it not ok anymore.

Ducks can get pretty aggressive, but it depends on the group.

7. Haruka

Haruka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Chula Vista, CA
    My duck, Onyx gets afraid of the chickens and runs away. But I haven't put them together yet. My fiance and I are planning on building a run/coop this weekend. But thanks for the information!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by