Chickens and their voices

tkepner2

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 8, 2014
Does anyone know if chickens can permanently loose there voice or sound like they have a high pitched squeal? We took in 9 adult birds that appeared to have respiratory problems. We treated with antibiotics and now they all seem to be putting on weight and looking healthy. There are 2 of the nine that still sound funny. No wheezing it just seems like one has no voice and the other sounds squeaky.

Welcome to BYC. Aspergillosis, a respiratory disease from moldy conditions, can cause a loss of voice, silent gasping, and increased thirst. It is very serious if it becomes chronic, but removing them from the moldy conditions is the only treatment. The best way to prevent respiratory problems is to keep coop clean and dry, provide optimum overhead ventilation with no direct drafts, keep down dust and ammonia odors, and prevent chickens from getting overheated in winter causing them to pant excessively (usually by use of heat in coop.) Here is some reading: http://www.aspergillus.org.uk/indexhome.htm?secure/veterinary/Poultdis1.html~main

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I hope your chickens will be alright. It sounds like Eggcessive has given you some good advice...good luck!

Thank you for the information, it sure does sound like this is what they might have. The conditions they came from where not good at all. Only 2 seem to be displaying the symptoms, the other girls seem and sound fine. I'm not quite sure what to do with the 2 that still sound weird because we have had them for about a month and a half and still in quarantine. I am very nervous to introduce these 9 to my other flock. Any suggestions for that?

Thank you for the information, it sure does sound like this is what they might have. The conditions they came from where not good at all. Only 2 seem to be displaying the symptoms, the other girls seem and sound fine. I'm not quite sure what to do with the 2 that still sound weird because we have had them for about a month and a half and still in quarantine. I am very nervous to introduce these 9 to my other flock. Any suggestions for that?

You are very right to be concerned about introducing these new birds to your existing flock. If they all seemed to have something respiratory going on when you got them it's very possible that they are carrying a respiratory disease. To be honest, I would not introduce them to my flock until I'd had an avian vet run some lab work on one. It's well worth the trouble rather then risk introducing something into your flock that could result in chronic illness in all your birds.

Back
Top Bottom