Chickens and Turkeys

I raise turkeys and Chickens together and have no problems....

DUX should be raised alone with little lead weights tied to their feets........ We need to protect the world from DUX, you know...

4th post,,so Welcome to BYC.....

You do have to be aware of MS and Blackhead when raising turkeys and chickens together...

I do not know about DUX though because I live in a mandated DUX free zone.

I have chicks and ducklings in a brooder right now. The more I research it, it seems that seperate is better. Ducks are really messy as I have learned in the last week, but they are characters. Lesson learned--do not listen to the people at the feed store when they say they can live together. They require different things as I have found out after the fact.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
For now they are doing well together. The ducks get tub time and the chicks enjoy alone time without them.

I only have chickens...but from my extensive reading, it can work... but.....
Biggest cons:
Ducks make a wet mess, not great for chickens.
Chickens can carry blackhead with no symptoms, but is fatal to turkeys.....
...check with your local extensions to see if back head is prevalent in your area.

I only have chickens...but from my extensive reading, it can work... but.....
Biggest cons:
Ducks make a wet mess, not great for chickens.
Chickens can carry blackhead with no symptoms, but is fatal to turkeys.....
...check with your local extensions to see if back head is prevalent in your area.

Also DUX can carry a multitude of diseases that to not affect them but will kill the chickens. I know AI is thought to be one, and I believe some mycoplasma ..

Here are a few more....
https://www.wattagnet.com/articles/535-current-diseases-of-ducks-and-their-control
So let's all chant together:
DOWN WITH DUX----- DOWN WITH DUX-----DOWN WITH DUX

Hello I have turkeys, geese,ducks,guineas,and of course chicken and I enjoy every thing bout them. I believe my turkey hen thinks she is a chicken she lays eggs in the coop sleeps in with them at night I keep running her out but samething happens just a different day and she has a big house for all but chickens any suggestions

Back
Top Bottom