Chickens are coughing or making a sound like they have a cruppy cough

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NewHobbyForMe, Nov 8, 2010.

1. NewHobbyForMe

NewHobbyForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    I notice my bantam rooster has not been crowing like normal, he sounds like his throat is sore, hens now are doing the same thing. I am giving Sulmet in their water for four days and they have not changed. They also have running noses. They are RIR, BR, BO, one year olds. I use hay for bedding. Any help is very much appreciated. Very worried.

2. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    it could be something in the hay. Dust or molds that are making them cough and sneeze. Sorry not much help. Only new to the chicken game.

3. ChickenJill

ChickenJill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    I too have a hen that is making a sneezing sound! She looks ok otherwise... Any help?

4. new_2_chick_world

new_2_chick_world New Egg

Jul 28, 2010
    My hens are also doing the same thing now, coughing and sneezing, we have had 2 -3 hens die every day for the past 3 days....Today our momma banta passed and her roo is left loney.
    I have also tried the Sulmet and it doesnt work!! Any ideas on what is next? I called our local vets and all they say is "get an AX" are you serious? these are our pets...HELP!! If any one has more information...pass it along, thanks!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by